Terrorist wanted by U.S. nabbed in Libya
TRIPOLI, Libya — U.S. forces seized an al-Qaida leader connected to the 1998 embassy bombings in eastern Africa and wanted by the U.S. for more than a decade outside his house on Saturday in the Libyan capital, his relatives said.
His capture, if confirmed, would be the latest blow to al-Qaida, which has seen its leadership consistently targeted since the death of Osama bin Laden.
Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, known by his alias Anas al-Libi, is believed to have returned to Libya during the 2011 civil war that led to the ouster and killing of dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
His brother, Nabih, said the 49-year-old was parking outside his house early Saturday after dawn prayers, when three vehicles encircled him, smashed the car's window and seized his gun before grabbing him and fleeing. The brother said el-Libi's wife saw the kidnapping from her window and described the abductors as foreign-looking armed “commandos.”
Al-Libi is on the FBI's most-wanted list with a $ 5 million bounty on his head. He was indicted in the Southern District of New York for his alleged involvement in the bombings of the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya, on August 7, 1998.
Libyan officials didn't return calls, and the United States issued no statements.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Teen girls found no roadblock to flights
- Gunman in Ottawa attack had been waiting for passport to go to Syria
- WHO: Nigeria’s Ebola outbreak is officially over
- Deadly crash into train station prompts crackdown in Jerusalem
- U.S. airstrikes beat back Islamic State’s push for Mosul dam
- Iran acts to comply with interim nuclear deal with world powers, IAEA says
- China’s Communist Party angles to improve judiciary
- Saudis tell women: Don’t defy and drive
- Abbas seems desperate in round of belligerent rhetoric
- Mom of Canada suspect: I cry for victims, not son
- Iran considers compromise offer on nuclear program