Monster truck kills 8 at Mexico air show
CHIHUAHUA, Mexico — An out-of-control monster truck shot into a crowd of spectators at a Mexican air show, killing eight people and hurting 79, officials said. The driver was detained on Sunday on suspicion of manslaughter, and officials said they were investigating possible safety violations in the setup of the show.
Carlos Gonzalez, spokesman for the Chihuahua state prosecutors' office, said driver Francisco Velazquez appeared to lose control of the truck after leaping over cars it was crushing during a demonstration at the “Extreme Aeroshow” on Saturday.
Video taken from the stands by spectator Krizthall Martinez and provided to The Associated Press shows the truck making an initial pass over two cars. It then makes a second pass at higher speed, coming down sharply nose first and bouncing violently before piling straight into the crowd, which stood directly in the path of the monster truck unprotected by any wall or barrier.
The three-day show, which included performances by airplanes, the monster truck acts and other events, was canceled after the accident on its second day in a park near Chihuahua.
On Sunday, two armed men threw a firebomb at monster trucks and other vehicles parked at a hotel that were part of an unrelated monster truck production at the air show.
Chihuahua Gov. Cesar Duarte Juarez said his administration is investigating whether authorities had correctly enforced safety regulations.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Iraqi forces break militant siege of Shiite Turkmen town
- Iraqi forces break militant siege of Shiite town
- Kenyan rangers killing poachers, rights group say
- China limits options for Hong Kong election
- Clashes between police, protesters violent in Pakistani capital
- ISIS waterboarded Foley, other hostages
- EU preps further sanctions on Russia as ‘full-scale war’ looms in Ukraine
- Islamic State fighters massacre as many as 700 Syrian tribesmen, activists report
- Israel, Hamas accept Gaza war cease-fire
- Russian columns enter Ukraine; leader urges calm
- Saudi king warns of terrorist threat to Europe, US