Kerry appears to reject Iran's call for new nuclear program proposal
BALI, Indonesia — Warming U.S.-Iranian relations do not mean that the United States will back off its demands about Iran's nuclear program, or roll back missile defenses in Europe aimed at intercepting an Iranian attack, Secretary of State John Kerry said on Monday.
Iran's foreign minister, who met with Kerry last month at the United Nations, was quoted in state media on Sunday as saying the United States should bring new proposals to a nuclear bargaining session next week. Kerry appeared to reject that, saying Iran still hasn't responded to the last offer put forth by the United States, Russia and others in February.
“We're waiting for the fullness of the Iranian difference in their approach now,” Kerry said, after a meeting here with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. “But we're encouraged by the statements that were made in New York.”
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani argued at the U.N. General Assembly last month that Iran's program is not dangerous and that his country will cooperate with monitors to prove that. Sanctions are counterproductive and should end, he argued.
On the sidelines of the U.N. meeting in New York, Kerry had an unusual meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, and President Obama telephoned Rouhani for the first direct contact between leaders of the two nations since before the 1979 Iranian revolution and takeover of the U.S. Embassy.
Lavrov, who plans to attend next week's much-anticipated nuclear meeting in Switzerland, said the international group negotiating with Iran wants “a road map which would, at the end of the day, satisfy the international community that the Iranian nuclear program is entirely peaceful” and put under the full control of international nuclear monitors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.