Israel holds military exercise in run up to talks with Iran
By The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, Oct. 10, 2013, 9:48 p.m.
JERUSALEM — In an apparent message to Iran, the Israeli military said on Thursday it had carried out a “special long-range flight exercise” and posted rare footage of the drill online.
The military said its squadrons practiced refueling planes in midair this week and tested the air force's ability. The accompanying footage shows a tanker plane refueling a fighter jet midair, a key part of any long-range operation.
The release of the video comes just days before Western powers are to open new talks with Iran over its disputed nuclear program.
The United States and its allies accuse Iran of using its civilian nuclear program as a cover to develop nuclear weapons. Israel has repeatedly warned that it would be willing to take military action if necessary to stop Iran from going nuclear.
The talks on Iran's nuclear program will be held next week with the five permanent U.N. Security Council members — the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France — plus Germany, collectively known as the P5+1.
President Obama disclosed last week that U.S. intelligence agencies believe Iran continues to be a year or more away from building a nuclear weapon, in contrast to Israel's assessment that Tehran is closer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mandela eulogized as ‘last great liberator’
- Uruguay OKs 1st national market for legal pot
- Ukraine police move on protesters
- Syrian opposition activist goes missing
- Egypt strikes a perilous repose
- More than 500 reported dead in Central African Republic
- Mexico may open up oil production
- Protesters rip fences, Chevron’s plans
- Defense Secretary Hagel skips visit with Afghan President Karzai
- Taste of free enterprise whets Cubans’ appetite
- Iran presses ahead with uranium