Car bomber targets foreigners' compound in Afghanistan
KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide car bomber attacked a small convoy of vehicles on Friday near a heavily fortified private residential compound used by hundreds of foreigners on the outskirts of Kabul, killing two passers-by, Afghan officials said.
Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqi said a bomber attacked two vehicles used “by foreigners” near the Green Village compound. There were no reports that the people in the vehicles were injured.
A police official said two civilians passing by the site of the explosion were killed by the blast. He spoke on condition of anonymity.
Kabul police chief Mohammad Zahir said the Green Village was the intended target of the attack.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the car bombing and said Green Village was the intended target of the attacker.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force confirmed that a car bomb attack had occurred in Kabul and that “there was one enemy killed as a result of the attack.”
“We have no operational reports of ISAF personnel fatalities,” it said in a statement.
Small-arms fire could be heard after the initial blast, apparently as guards in the industrial zone where the explosion occurred started shooting.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bad day for Israel: U.N. criticizes West Bank settlements; Hamas off EU terror list
- Grief in Pakistan over school rampage turns to anger toward military
- Russia acts to stanch ruble’s plummet
- Kurdish Iraqi forces battle ISIS to try to clear way to Syrian border
- Russia acts to stanch plummet of ruble’s value
- Female bishop a first for Church of England
- 2 decades on, Serbs held in Muslim deaths
- Kabul suicide blasts hit auditorium in French cultural center, bus full of Afghan soldiers
- Americans, Belgians gather in Ardennes to mark 70th anniversary of Battle of the Bulge
- Muslim cleric gunman killed as police end standoff in Sydney cafe
- Hope for better days in Pakistan shattered in school attack