Syria meets filing deadline on chemical weapons
GAZIANTEP, Turkey — The Syrian government has met an international deadline to submit a detailed declaration of its chemical weapons facilities and a plan to destroy the nation's toxic arsenal, the group overseeing the disarmament process said on Sunday.
Syria had until Sunday to present its declaration and the related proposal for destruction to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, a Hague-based organization supervising the elimination of Syria's chemical stockpiles. Syria previously provided an initial inventory of its chemical sites, but the new filing is considered more comprehensive and detailed.
In a news release, the OPCW said Syria had submitted the required documentation on Thursday. The statement did not come as a surprise. OPCW officials have repeatedly praised Syria for its cooperation and had predicted that the Oct. 27 deadline would be met.
No details of the Syrian government's submission were made public.
In general, the OPCW said, such declarations “provide the basis on which plans are devised for a systematic, total and verified destruction of declared chemical weapons and production facilities.”
Syria's plan for destruction will now go before the OPCW's executive council for consideration, the agency said.
International inspectors have been in Syria since Oct. 1 in the start of a United Nations-backed mission to destroy Syria's chemical stockpiles by mid-2014.
The OPCW faces a Friday deadline to end Syria's ability to produce chemical weapons. Inspectors have been working to render inoperable all equipment needed to mix and fill chemical agents into munitions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- WHO: Nigeria’s Ebola outbreak is officially over
- Pope Francis: ‘God is not afraid of new things’
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- Fiercest fighting in days hits Syrian border town of Kobani
- UN: We botched response to the Ebola outbreak
- West Africa pleads for help as 100 Marines arrive in epicenter of Ebola crisis
- Shiites killed in series of attacks on Baghdad
- Catholic bishops back away from welcoming words to gays
- Crime rocks Mexico despite government claim of progress
- South Korea: Two Koreas exchange gunfire along border
- As Hong Kong protests continue, fear of more casualties grows