Israel plans more than 1,500 settlement homes
JERUSALEM — Israel announced plans on Wednesday to build more than 1,500 homes in Jewish settlements in east Jerusalem and the West Bank, dealing a setback to newly relaunched peace efforts hours after it had freed a group of long-serving Palestinian prisoners.
The construction plans drew angry condemnations from Palestinian officials, who accused Israel of undermining the U.S.-led talks by expanding settlements on the lands where they hope to establish an independent state. U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon also condemned the Israeli decision, and Washington said it would not create a “positive environment” for the negotiations.
Israel had freed the 26 Palestinian prisoners as part of a U.S.-brokered agreement to restart the talks. The construction was meant to blunt anger over the release of the prisoners, all of whom had been convicted of murder in the deaths of Israelis.
Israel's Interior Ministry said 1,500 apartments would be built in Ramat Shlomo, a large settlement in east Jerusalem, the section of the holy city claimed by the Palestinians as their capital. It also announced plans for archaeology and tourism projects near the Old City, home to Jerusalem's most sensitive holy sites.
Israel first announced the Ramat Shlomo plan in 2010 during a visit to Israel by Vice President Joe Biden, sparking a diplomatic rift with Washington that took months to mend. Wednesday's decision is the final approval needed, and construction can begin immediately, officials said.
Ofir Akunis, a lawmaker from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud Party, said construction also had been approved for several West Bank settlements.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Obama celebrates gains, notes stalemates on visit to East Africa
- Turks, Kurdish rebels deepen hostility
- Libyans on death sentences for Gadhafi’s son, others: ‘Who cares?’
- French students unearth 560,000-year-old tooth, oldest body part found in country
- Scientists warn about killer robots
- NATO proclaims ‘strong solidarity’ with Turkey against IS
- Humanitarian cease-fire halts airstrikes in Yemen
- Saudis’ deadly airstrikes resume in Yemen
- Saudi-led airstrikes kill 120 in Yemen
- Turkey to stick with air offensive in ISIS battle
- U.S., Turkey plan for ‘safe zone’ free of ISIS in northern Syria