Egypt court upholds ban on Brotherhood
CAIRO — A court in Egypt upheld on Wednesday an earlier ruling that banned the Muslim Brotherhood and ordered its assets confiscated, the state news agency reported. The decision moves forward the complicated process of the government taking control of the Islamist group's far-reaching social network and its finances.
The Cairo Court for Urgent Matters rejected the Brotherhood's appeal to suspend the Sept. 23 ruling that ordered the group's assets confiscated and its activities banned.
The sweeping verdict was viewed as a legal pretext for interim authorities to move against assets owned or administered by Brotherhood members, including schools, hospitals, charities, and businesses.
It is part of a wider crackdown against the group following the popularly backed coup in July that removed President Mohamed Morsy, a Brotherhood member and Egypt's first elected leader since the 2011 fall of autocrat Hosni Mubarak.
Senior leaders have been arrested, and many of them sent to trial on a number of charges, including Morsy. His trial began on Monday on charges of incitement to murder.
Egypt's military-backed authorities formed a committee last month to review the Brotherhood assets but have not moved against its finances.
Outlawed for most of its 85-year existence — with successive regimes alternating between repression and tolerance — the Brotherhood built its networks largely underground. That made it difficult for authorities to track, since many institutions were registered under individuals' names.
Brotherhood lawyer Osama el-Helw said the group will file another appeal against the ruling, but this appeal, unlike the first, will not suspend implementation of the ban unless it is accepted by a court. It is unlikely to reverse the initial ruling, legal experts said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- U.S. military shifts strategy to smaller Iraq force
- Turkish leader says genders can’t be equal
- Israelis get eyes in sky for Jerusalem patrols
- Mexico targets local corruption