Carrier en route to islands
TACLOBAN, Philippines — A U.S. aircraft carrier was heading toward the typhoon-ravaged eastern Philippines on Tuesday to add muscle to relief efforts that have yet to fully begin.
The USS George Washington was expected to arrive off the coast in about two days, according to the Pentagon. A similar sized ship, and its fleet of helicopters capable of dropping tons of water daily and evacuating wounded, was credited with saving scores of lives in the 2004 Asian tsunami.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nasal cells help paralyzed man make history by walking
- U.S. losing drug war in Afghanistan despite $7.6B eradication effort, inspector general reports
- NATO chases Russian aircraft
- ISIS claims it grabs U.S. military ware
- Fatal attack on soldier in Quebec ‘terrorist act’
- Rock of ages put on display in Israel
- French oil CEO killed when private jet collides with snowplow during takeoff in Moscow
- Olympic athlete Pistorius given 5-year prison sentence
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to 5 years in prison for killing girlfriend
- Egypt steps up role in Libyan conflict