Share This Page

Syrian opposition angles for peace talks

| Monday, Nov. 11, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

Syria's main opposition coalition said on Monday that it is willing to attend peace talks slated for later this year but laid out conditions that are likely to remain major stumbling blocks to bringing both sides to the table.

Although the Syrian Opposition Coalition's announcement was hailed by Secretary of State John Kerry as an important step, one of its demands is that President Bashar Assad not play any role in a transitional government. That remains starkly at odds with the Syrian government's position, which rejects any preconditions.

The United States, United Nations and Russia have been pushing for negotiations for months, but progress has been slow and diplomats are scrambling to bring together the Geneva talks, first slated for early this past summer, by the end of the year.

The coalition demanded the release of political prisoners and the easing of tight blockades.

The substance of the statement, voted on early Monday by a majority of the fractious body, is not new but gives the opposition an official and unified position ahead of talks, relieving pressure from the international community.

The announcement does mark a slight softening from last month, when coalition leader Ahmad al-Jarba said the group would boycott if Iran attended or if there were no specific time frame for Assad to leave.

The opposition had shown some reluctance to commit to the talks, angered by a lack of U.S. military support for rebels and the Obama administration's decision to hold off on punitive strikes that it initially pledged after the Aug. 21 chemical attack. The coalition also complained that the agreement for Syria to destroy its chemical weapons only distracts the international community as Assad continues to employ the conventional arms, missiles and air power that has killed the vast majority of the more than 100,000 war dead.

Speaking to reporters in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, Kerry hailed the opposition decision as a “big step forward and an important one,” the Associated Press reported. British Foreign Secretary William Hague said that in light of the statement, he would put forward a proposal to the British Parliament to increase support to the opposition through medical, logistical and communication equipment for the Syrian opposition ahead of talks.

However, disagreements between the two sides over Assad's role in a transition appear irreconcilable.

Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi said last week that the government will not go to Geneva with the intention of handing over power or forming a transitional governing body, and that Assad would remain head of state, according to state-run Syrian Arab News Agency. Assad has repeatedly said that it is up to the Syrian people to decide his fate, while hinting that he might run for reelection in 2014.

He has also repeatedly stressed that he will not negotiate with “terrorists,” which is how the government describes any armed opposition.

The opposition demands echo a communique released by the “London 11” in the British capital last month, in which foreign ministers from 11 countries that support the Syrian opposition, including the United States, Britain, Turkey and Saudi Arabia, said there was “no role” for Assad or his close associates in a transitional body.

“There can be no peaceful settlement to the conflict in Syria without a strong role for the legitimate, moderate opposition,” Hague told the House of Commons on Monday. He said the opposition was right to demand access for aid agencies, where hopes have been raised in recent weeks after several negotiations to lift blockades.

Thousands of civilians have been evacuated from the rebel-held area of Moadamiya over the past month. Field doctors in the suburb west of Damascus had said women and children were dying of starvation as troops prevented food or supplies from entering. Activists also said supplies were allowed into the town of Qudsaya, near the Syrian capital, on Sunday for the first time in weeks.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.