Canadian arrested in bid to pass ship info to China
TORONTO — Police said on Sunday that a Canadian man has been arrested for allegedly trying to sell classified information to the Chinese government about Canada's warship building procurement strategy.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said Qing Quentin Huang, 53, of Burlington, Ontario, was arrested on Saturday and appeared in court on Sunday.
RCMP Chief Supt. Jennifer Strachan said the suspect is charged with communicating with a foreign entity under the Security of Information Act.
Police said the suspect works for Lloyd Register, a ship design subcontractor to Irving Shipbuilding. Authorities said the classified information relates to Canada's strategy on building patrol ships, frigates, naval auxiliary vessels, science research vessels and ice breakers.
Police said the suspect acted alone in trying to pass information to the Chinese government.
“In these types of cases, sharing of information may give a foreign entity a tactical, military or competitive advantage by knowing the specification of vessels responsible for defending Canadian waters and Canadian sovereignty,” Strachan said.
Strachan called it valuable research and development information. She said it could also provide an unfair competitive and economic advantage.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Antarctica yields life in extremest of conditions, so what about on another planet?
- Shiia militias in Iraq say they have assurances U.S. will stop strikes
- Iran blames U.S. drone for killing military advisers in Iraq
- ‘Substantial’ roadblocks remain as nuclear talks with Iran go down to wire
- Co-pilot in Germanwings Alps crash treated for suicidal tendencies
- Delivery of biggest warship since WWII another sign of expanding Japanese military
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot sought to ‘destroy’ the plane
- Suspect in Tunisian museum attack killed
- Leaders wary of vote-rigging in Nigeria
- Airstrike hits aid camp for displaced in Yemen, kills dozens
- Plane crash kills 150 people in French Alps