Flesh-eating fish attack swimmers in Argentina
BUENOS AIRES — A school of carnivorous fish attacked hundreds of Argentines cooling off in a river near the city of Rosario, sending at least 70 to clinics and emergency rooms for treatment.
The attack by palometas, a type of piranha, occurred as city dwellers attempted to escape the 100-degree heat of Christmas Day in the Southern Hemisphere's summer season.
“There were some people that the fish literally had torn bits of flesh from,” said Gustavo Centurion, a medical official at the scene.
Lifeguards director Federico Cornier said the attack was unusual in the number and ferocity of the bites: “It's normal for there to be an isolated bite or injury, but the magnitude in this case was great. ... This is an exceptional event.”
A 7-year-old girl lost a finger to the fish, and dozens of people suffered serious bites to their extremities, news agencies reported.
The incident occurred along the Parana River at Rosario, about 200 miles northwest of Buenos Aires.
Piranhas, a freshwater fish with sharp teeth, inhabit the rivers of South America. Several fatal attacks on humans have occurred in recent years, mostly in the Amazon River basin.
Paramedic Alberto Manino said stold the Todo Noticias channel that city beaches were closed, but it was so hot that within a half-hour, many people went back to the water,
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Deepening U.S. commitment to Kobani ties Obama’s Islamic State effort to Kurds’ fate
- Spate of attacks kills dozens in Iraq, appears to target Shiites
- Abbas seems desperate in round of belligerent rhetoric
- Submarine hunt sends Cold War chill across Baltic
- Iran acts to comply with interim nuclear deal with world powers, IAEA says
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- WHO: Nigeria’s Ebola outbreak is officially over
- Putin, EU leaders to meet amid strain
- Kurdish militia regains ground in Kobani
- British parliament votes to recognize Palestinian state
- Secretary of State Kerry’s airplane grounded a 4th time