Flesh-eating fish attack swimmers in Argentina
BUENOS AIRES — A school of carnivorous fish attacked hundreds of Argentines cooling off in a river near the city of Rosario, sending at least 70 to clinics and emergency rooms for treatment.
The attack by palometas, a type of piranha, occurred as city dwellers attempted to escape the 100-degree heat of Christmas Day in the Southern Hemisphere's summer season.
“There were some people that the fish literally had torn bits of flesh from,” said Gustavo Centurion, a medical official at the scene.
Lifeguards director Federico Cornier said the attack was unusual in the number and ferocity of the bites: “It's normal for there to be an isolated bite or injury, but the magnitude in this case was great. ... This is an exceptional event.”
A 7-year-old girl lost a finger to the fish, and dozens of people suffered serious bites to their extremities, news agencies reported.
The incident occurred along the Parana River at Rosario, about 200 miles northwest of Buenos Aires.
Piranhas, a freshwater fish with sharp teeth, inhabit the rivers of South America. Several fatal attacks on humans have occurred in recent years, mostly in the Amazon River basin.
Paramedic Alberto Manino said stold the Todo Noticias channel that city beaches were closed, but it was so hot that within a half-hour, many people went back to the water,
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- More than 30 Filipino police commandos killed in clash with rebels
- Putin casts off rich cronies as sanctions hit Russian elite
- Terror explodes anew in Ukraine as rebels’ rockets hit city of Mariupol
- Saudi King Abdullah, a gradual modernizer, dead at 90
- Islamic militant group Ansar al-Shariah says leader Mohammed al-Zahawi has been killed
- Leaders decry apparent murder
- Obama to cut short India trip to pay call on Saudi Arabia
- Yemenis protest takeover by Houthi rebels
- Turmoil confronts new Saudi king on several crucial fronts
- Focus shifts as Ebola outbreak slows
- Palestinians protest Canadian official, pelt car with eggs, shoes