$2.4 billion in aid pledged for war-torn Syrians
KUWAIT CITY — Western nations and their gulf Arab allies led the promises of support at a fundraising conference on Wednesday in Kuwait that generated pledges of at least $2.4 billion to alleviate the suffering of Syrians. The U.N. secretary-general says half the population, 9.3 million people, are in urgent need of aid.
Millions have been displaced from their homes as a result of the crisis, both inside the country and in neighboring states struggling to cope with the influx. Getting aid to many of those in need inside Syria is a challenge because they remain trapped in embattled areas.
The United Nations is asking for $6.5 billion this year to help Syrians affected by the war — its largest-ever funding appeal for a single crisis. Officials did not expect to raise the entire amount in Kuwait but hope the gathering focuses greater attention on the conflict.
“The fighting has set Syria back by years, even decades,” U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said at the start of the event in the lavish Bayan Palace in the Kuwaiti capital.
Ban said humanitarian and development agencies “face unprecedented demands” because of the crisis, and that it “is vital ... the burden be shared” in helping meet Syria's growing aid needs.
Kuwait's emir, Sheik Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, opened the conference by pledging $500 million, significantly topping its pledge of $300 million last year.
He pressed the U.N. Security Council to exert greater effort in bringing an end to the crisis.
Secretary of State John Kerry said the U.S. pledge of $380 million will bring America's humanitarian aid to Syrian victims to $1.7 billion since the war began.
Saudi Arabia pledged $250 million; European Union countries, a total of $753 million.
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.