Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
SANAA, Yemen — An airstrike targeting suspected al-Qaida training camps in a rugged mountain region in southern Yemen killed a number of fighters on Sunday, a high-level government security committee said without specifying a casualty figure.
The Supreme Security Committee, which includes the defense and interior ministers as well as the country's intelligence chief, said the attack struck the rugged Mahfad mountains between Abyan and Shabwa provinces. But its statement did not identify who carried out the attack.
The United States regularly carries out drone strikes in Yemen against its local al-Qaida branch, which Washington considers the most active in the world.
The official news agency SABA quoted an unnamed official from the security committee who said those killed in the strike included foreigners and suspected leading figures in al-Qaida. It was not possible to independently verify a casualty figure because of the difficulties of getting to the remote area where the strike took place.
The committee said the suspected al-Qaida members were plotting to target vital military and civilian installations, without elaborating.
This is the second strike targeting al-Qaida since Saturday, when a suspected U.S. drone strike in al-Bayda province in southern Yemen killed at least nine suspected al-Qaida militants and three civilians. The Supreme Committee said the airstrike was carried out by Yemeni authorities.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bodies of Malaysia Airlines plane crash victims return to Netherlands
- Ukraine rebel leader admits they had BUK
- Acetaminophen no better for back pain than placebo, researchers report
- Afghan officer sentenced to death in photographer’s killing
- Junta gets expanse of powers in document
- Suicide bombs in Nigeria kill 82; ex-leader targeted
- 47 killed in Taiwan plane crash; 11 hurt
- Ukraine: Pro-Russia rebels downed Malaysian plane
- ‘Explosion of evil’ in Europe against Jews condemned
- Ban of flights to and from Israel feared to bolster Hamas
- 2 Ukrainian military fighter jets shot down