Everest expeditions halted, sherpas quit over avalanche that killed 16
KATMANDU — Nepal's attempts to salvage the Mount Everest climbing season fell flat on Thursday as major expedition companies canceled their climbs and many Sherpas quit the mountain because of an avalanche last week that killed 16 of their fellow guides.
While the season has not been officially canceled, guides and Sherpas said it appeared increasingly unlikely that any summit attempts would be made this season from the Nepal side of the mountain.
“Many of us think this year is not good for climbing, and nobody should be going up the mountain at all,” Tenzing, a 23-year-old Sherpa who goes by one name, said from base camp. He described 2014 as a “black year” for Everest.
“It was bad beginning to the climbing season, and it should not get worse,” he said.
The avalanche last week has laid bare deep resentments over Sherpas' pay, treatment and the disproportionate risks they take to help tourists ascend Everest. Dozens of Sherpas have packed up their gear and left the mountain, saying they want to honor the dead and pressure the government to guard their rights.
Adrian Ballinger, founder and head guide of Alpenglow Expeditions, said he and most other guide operations on the mountain decided to pull out late Wednesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mexican cartel kingpin busted
- China again boosts military spending by double digits
- Deal ‘paves Iran’s path’ to nukes, Netanyahu says
- Afghan forces hit by loss of numbers
- Israeli airstrikes on Gaza homes killed civilians, Palestinians say
- Double bomb blasts kill 34 in Nigeria city
- U.S. says China preps more ship, airfield stations
- Prominent Russian opposition figure Boris Nemtsov shot dead
- Stone Age Britons got wheat from trade route
- Al-Qaida-linked fighters seize rebel bases in Syria
- Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu expected to confront Obama on Iran