Benghazi militants remain active
TRIPOLI, Libya — Gunmen attacked a security forces headquarters in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi early Friday, killing nine and wounding 24, authorities said, blaming an Islamist group allegedly behind the attack of a U.S. diplomatic post there.
A security official said the attack started when dozens of gunmen opened fire with machine guns and mortars.
Libyan commandos later arrived and fought the attackers, though the official said they suffered heavy casualties. A statement issued by the interim government put the death toll at nine people.
Milad al-Zowi, a commando spokesman, said the dead were six army commandos and three police officers.
A local hospital official said some of the slain troops were badly butchered, with some corpses burned. The official said his hospital treated 24 wounded in the fighting.
The government's statement blamed Ansar al-Shariah, a hard-line militia, for the attack, along with other “criminal groups.”
The government condemned the attack and said they will not accept “the presence of armed and illegal terrorist groups.”
Ansar al-Shariah has been blamed for the attacks on the U.S. posts that killed four Americans on Sept. 11, 2012.
In January, the State Department designated the two branches of the Ansar al-Shariah in Libya and a third branch in Tunisia as foreign terrorist organizations.
Benghazi, the birthplace of the 2011 uprising that led to the downfall of Moammar Gadhafi, has undergone a severe deterioration in security. The government has depended on unruly militias in the absence of a strong police force.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- U.S. airstrikes beat back Islamic State’s push for Mosul dam
- Gunman in Ottawa attack had been waiting for passport to go to Syria
- Olympic athlete Pistorius given 5-year prison sentence
- Teen girls found no roadblock to flights
- Saudis tell women: Don’t defy and drive
- China’s Communist Party angles to improve judiciary
- Deadly crash into train station prompts crackdown in Jerusalem
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Camel likely killed wildlife park owner who didn’t give him can of Coke
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- Abbas seems desperate in round of belligerent rhetoric