Some Ukrainians call for volunteer army
KIEV — Ukraine's interim government took additional steps on Tuesday to reassert its control by appointing a new military commander and shoring up security forces, even as some leaders made urgent calls for volunteers to take up arms against pro-Russian separatists in the eastern part of the country.
Amid reports of fresh violence, former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko urged the creation of a “volunteer army” because neither Ukraine's army nor its security services have been effective in handling outbreaks of rebellion, the Russian news service Interfax reported Tuesday.
Hers was one of many calls to form combat-ready units of “self-defense” forces ahead of May 25 presidential and mayoral elections. Andriy Tiron, battalion commander of the National Guard, told reporters in Kiev that demonstrators who helped oust the previous pro-Russian government were being urged to volunteer for military duty. But there was confusion about who would command them and what their duties would be.
In a brief statement that appeared on his official Web site, the acting president, Oleksandr Turchynov, said Lt. Gen. Anatoly Pushnyakov has been appointed to take command of the army.
In Washington, the Obama administration denounced as illegal a planned weekend referendum by pro-Russian insurgents pushing for autonomy and independence for portions of eastern Ukraine.
Secretary of State John Kerry said the referendum set for Sunday would be “bogus” and not recognized by the West.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bad day for Israel: U.N. criticizes West Bank settlements; Hamas off EU terror list
- Kurdish Iraqi forces battle ISIS to try to clear way to Syrian border
- Russia acts to stanch ruble’s plummet
- Grief in Pakistan over school rampage turns to anger toward military
- Russia acts to stanch plummet of ruble’s value
- Islamic State terrorists shoot down Iraqi military helicopter
- Muslim cleric gunman killed as police end standoff in Sydney cafe
- Taliban siege at Pakistani school ends with 141 dead
- Israel arrests 10 from anti-Arab group on suspicion of calls for ‘violent activity and terror’
- Pakistan school: Devastation where 148 were slain
- FBI issues alert on Iranian hackers