3 men escape Canadian detention center using chopper
MONTREAL — The search widened on Sunday for three inmates who escaped with the help of a helicopter from a detention center in Quebec City as dusk approached a day earlier.
It was the second helicopter-aided inmate escape in Quebec province in two years.
The three men escaped from the Orsainville Detention Centre in suburban Quebec City about 7:45 p.m. Saturday with the help of a green-colored helicopter.
The chopper landed in the courtyard of the detention center, which has barbed-wire fencing and a watch post, and then quickly took off with the three inmates, heading west toward Trois-Rivieres or Montreal, police said.
Authorities were put on alert across Quebec, in the rest of Canada, and in the United States, according to provincial police.
“We have cooperation with all the police forces across the country and abroad also,” said Sgt. Gregory Gomez. “We have many, many officers who are scattering all the areas possible. Investigators are, of course, checking every lead.”
Police were reluctant to provide many details about their investigation for fear the escapees could be monitoring media reports.
The escapees were identified as Yves Denis, 35, Denis Lefebvre, 53, and Serge Pomerleau, 49.
They were being held at the detention center waiting to stand trial. It was not clear what charges they were facing.
Police released photos of the three men on social media and appealed to the public for help, but warned anyone who spotted them not to approach and to contact police.
Audrey-Anne Bilodeau, a police spokeswoman, said police were working with surrounding airports and Quebec's Valcartier military base to help track down the helicopter.
The Orsainville Detention Centre, about six miles from the center of Quebec City, can hold up to 710 offenders.
In March of last year, a helicopter pilot was forced at gunpoint to pluck two inmates from the St-Jerome prison on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Two inmates climbed up a rope ladder into the hovering helicopter and fled.
Police caught the two escapees and the two suspects who hijacked the helicopter within a few hours of the escape.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jihadi John, slashing terrorist, is unmasked as Briton
- Islamic State reign of terror unabated in Syria
- Double bomb blasts kill 34 in Nigeria city
- U.S. says China preps more ship, airfield stations
- Ukrainian sides pull heavy weapons from front in 11th-hour effort to comply with Minsk agreement
- Judge rejects Argentina’s role in cover-up of Iran’s involvement in blast at Jewish center
- ISIS suicide bombings kill dozens in Libya
- Avalanches hit Afghanistan hard
- Abducted Christians moved to ISIS stronghold
- Antarctica contains clues to answers ‘we can’t afford to ignore’
- Lawsuit threatens Palestinian image before war crimes claims