Taliban kills dozens in days-long attempt to retake former Afghan stronghold
KABUL, Afghanistan — The Taliban has amassed hundreds of fighters in Helmand province in its most ambitious attempt this year to seize ground as the U.S. combat mission winds down in Afghanistan, according to Afghan officials.
The fighting has gone on for nearly a week in the southern province, a former Taliban stronghold, demonstrating the insurgency's ability to mobilize against much improved, but still inexperienced, Afghan security forces.
As of Saturday, the toll from the violence remained unclear, but at least several dozen civilians, soldiers and police officers have been killed, Afghan officials said.
“It was a coordinated and organized attack on northern Helmand,” said Omer Zowak, the provincial spokesman. “Afghan security forces have pushed the Taliban back ... but they are resisting in some parts of Sangin district.”
Sangin, the main target of the Taliban offensive, lies in a valley along the Helmand River where for years insurgents have staged periodic attacks on Afghan and international troops. Last week, 45 civilians were killed in Sangin alone and 4,000 more were displaced, according to the district governor, Sulaiman Shah.
“The Taliban booby-trapped people's home, putting bombs in front of their houses,” Shah said. “The situation was very bad.”
When U.S. troops began to leave Helmand last year, many American officials predicted that the Taliban would attempt to dominate the Afghan forces left in charge of Sangin. For years, the district's poppy harvest and drug production centers were a financial boon to insurgents. Over the past two summers, though, the Taliban appeared to make retaking Sangin a priority.
Last week's fighting spread to the districts surrounding Sangin, prompting reinforcements to be sent to the area. Top Afghan commanders flew over the area in helicopters from Kabul to assess the situation.
The assault appears to be the insurgents' most effective attempt to date to gain ground in Helmand.
A spokesman for the Interior Ministry, Sediq Sediqi, suggested that more than 1,000 insurgents were involved in the attack. But Afghan officials insisted that the fighting was nearing an end, with troops refusing to cede territory.
“The clearing operation is going on. We've killed hundreds of Taliban fighters,” said Gen. Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for the Afghan National Army, who added that the Taliban had failed in its bid to destabilize Helmand.
The Taliban said its efforts had yielded enormous gains. On its official website, the organization claimed to have overrun five government outposts in Sangin.
After the troop surge in 2009, thousands of Marines were sent to northern Helmand, where the casualty rate was among the highest in the war. The gains at that time attracted attention from Washington.
In March 2011, Defense Secretary Robert Gates called Sangin “a major strategic breakthrough.”
Security has deteriorated significantly since then. Afghan officials still believe the government's hold on the district can be sustained, but their belief is conditional.
“I do believe in the Afghan security forces, but I have a demand for the international community. Before they leave, they should equip our army and police with mortar equipment and strengthen our air force,” said Shah.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burkina Faso leader steps down, vote in 90 days
- For more Asians, money delivers more happiness
- Burkina Faso’s parliament stormed by protesters
- Israel limits prayers at Al-Aqsa site
- Activists’ families on hunger strike
- Kerry admits American official’s use of barnyard vulgarity is ‘damaging’
- Missing American siblings found dead in Mexico
- Coalition targets ideology of ISIS
- Airstrikes against Islamic State fail to stop flow of jihadists into Syria
- Miss Uganda hopefuls get dirty in agriculture phase of contest
- Everything is America’s fault, Putin says