Israel bombards Gaza Strip
GAZA CITY — Israel initiated a major air assault on the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, bombing dozens of targets in what Israeli officials said was a bid to halt escalating cross-border attacks from Palestinian militants in the seaside enclave, who responded with a salvo of more than 150 rockets toward major Israeli cities and its coastal high-tech corridor.
Warning sirens during the night sent Israelis scrambling for bomb shelters in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, where a police spokesman said two rockets landed in the city's outskirts. Other rockets struck as far north as Hadera, more than 70 miles north of Gaza. Israel said that its missile interception systems blocked 29 of the rockets, including two over Tel Aviv, and that no injuries or major damage were reported.
The Israeli military said it carried out airstrikes against more than 150 sites in Gaza, killing five alleged members of Hamas, the Islamist group that controls Gaza. Ashraf al-Qidrah, a spokesman for Gaza's Health Ministry, said early on Wednesday that 25 Palestinians had been killed in the Israeli attacks and 152 wounded.
The Israeli operation against Hamas in Gaza is the third since 2008, and it occurs against the backdrop of weeks of rising Israeli-Palestinian tensions after the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli teens in the occupied West Bank — which Israel has blamed on Hamas — and the suspected revenge killing of an Arab youth in East Jerusalem. Since the abduction of the three Israelis last month, mortar rounds and rocket shells have been fired at Israel almost daily from Gaza, including almost 100 on Monday, according to the Israeli military.
In a sign that the cross-border conflict could widen, Israel said that it had called up 1,500 reservists and was mobilizing two infantry brigades, artillery, combat bulldozers and tanks along the Gaza border in preparation for a possible ground invasion. The Israeli cabinet subsequently approved the call-up of an additional 40,000 army reservists, according to the Defense Ministry.
The operation “won't end in a day, and it won't end in two days; it will take time,” Yitzhak Aharonovitch, Israel's cabinet minister for internal security, told Channel 2 TV.
In Gaza, residents filled mosques for Ramadan prayers, and patriotic songs blared on car radios as Hamas and other militant groups spent the day and night lobbing short- and medium-range Qassam, Grad and Fajr-5 rockets at Israeli territory.
The Israeli military said a small party of Gaza frogmen attempted a raid near the seaside Israeli army base in Zikim, just north of the Gaza border. Hamas took credit for the incursion and said its fighters used scuba gear to infiltrate Israel. Israeli soldiers who stopped them killed four Hamas militants, who arrived on the beach with grenades and automatic weapons, and one Israeli soldier was wounded in the fight, the Israeli military said.
Hours after Israel initiated what it called “Operation Protective Edge,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the army to “take their gloves off” against Hamas and increase attacks on Gaza, according to an account by a senior Israeli official.
Early Tuesday afternoon, the Israeli military said it killed Mohammed Shaaban, 24, who Israeli officials described as an important Hamas operative in Gaza. In Gaza City, the car carrying Shaaban was struck by a missile while crossing a busy intersection near the main market, witnesses said.
An hour after the strike, young men were using their fingers to remove bits of flesh and bone that had splattered across shop windows and stucco walls. They collected the remains in plastic bags to return to the families for burial. Witnesses at the scene said three other passengers were riding in the four-door sedan. They said the car exploded into flames after it was struck by at least two missiles.
“We saw one of the passengers beheaded,” said Munair Kitani, who works at a print shop across the street from the site of the attack. “The head flew into the street. The driver lost his arms. The others? It was hard to tell. We tried to count the hands or feet, but it was all mixed together.”
Also among the dead were seven people, including three teens, who were killed in an airstrike on the three-story cinder-block house of a Hamas operative in the teeming city of Khan Yunis, Hamas officials said. The operative apparently was not among the casualties.
One of the occupants of the house, Sawsan Kawarea, said she received a call on her mobile telephone from a caller who identified himself as “David” from the Israeli military — apparently one of the warnings Israel says it issues to prevent civilian deaths.
“He asked for me by name. He said, ‘You have women and children in the house. Get out. You have five minutes before the rockets come,' ” Kawarea said.
She ran outside with her children, she said. A first, small missile struck the house — what Gazans call an Israeli “warning rocket.” After the first strike, a crowd of young men ran into the house and up to the roof, thinking they would either protect the house from another strike or die defying the Israeli bombardment.
A second, much more destructive missile hit the home five minutes later. The attack leveled the building and sent dazed and panicked people into a small sandy alley, their faces covered in white dust and blood. Hamas medical officials said more than a dozen people were wounded.
In response to the Israeli strike on the house — one of several targeted — Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zohri said, “This strike in Khan Yunis against women and children is awful. After this war crime, all Israelis become legitimate targets for the resistance.”
Hamas was not the only militant group firing rockets at Israel, and it was not the only one targeted by retaliatory strikes. A spokesman for the al-Quds Brigades, the military wing of Islamic Jihad, said his group decided to join the assault against Israel on Tuesday by firing 60 rockets in three hours.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Obama celebrates gains, notes stalemates on visit to East Africa
- Scientists warn about killer robots
- Turks, Kurdish rebels deepen hostility
- French students unearth 560,000-year-old tooth, oldest body part found in country
- Mexican human rights commission question government investigation into missing students
- Turkey to stick with air offensive in ISIS battle
- NATO proclaims ‘strong solidarity’ with Turkey against IS
- Physicist Stephen Hawking, Russian tycoon announce $100 million project to search for aliens
- Libyans on death sentences for Gadhafi’s son, others: ‘Who cares?’