Ukraine president announces international humanitarian mission in eastern Ukraine
KIEV, Ukraine — Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko announced on Monday that an international humanitarian mission would be sent to the war-torn east of his country, in a fragile move toward peace on a day in which fighting continued unabated.
The announcement was made shortly after the Kremlin said it is sending a “humanitarian convoy” of its own to Ukraine under the aegis of the International Committee of the Red Cross. The Kremlin did not provide details about the timing or the form in which the aid would be delivered.
With Western officials warning that any unilateral moves by Russia would be treated as an invasion and NATO's top official saying on Monday that there was a “high probability” that Russia would invade Ukraine, the Kremlin statement appeared to take Ukrainian leaders by surprise. Minutes after the Russian announcement, Poroshenko spoke to President Obama by telephone.
After that conversation, Poroshenko's office said the international humanitarian mission would take place and that Obama had assured him of U.S. willingness to join in the efforts in the eastern region of Luhansk.
Poroshenko agreed to an “international humanitarian mission for Luhansk under the aegis of the International Committee of the Red Cross with participation of the EU, Russia, Germany and other partners,” his office said. “Barack Obama confirmed the intention of the USA to take active part in the international humanitarian mission.”
The White House said after the call that Obama “noted the urgency of such humanitarian efforts,” but it stopped short of announcing any U.S. aid commitments. It also said that “any Russian intervention in Ukraine without the formal, express consent and authorization of the Ukraine government would be unacceptable and a violation of international law.”
A Foreign Ministry spokesman, Yevhen Perebyinis, said Ukraine had told Russia that it would accept humanitarian aid only if it was delivered via U.N. or Red Cross channels and through Ukrainian-controlled border checkpoints.
No details were given about when the aid would reach residents, and there were warning signs that the help might not be imminent.
The Red Cross said that because it does not accept armed escorts, “all parties” must guarantee the security of its staff and vehicles. That would include the pro-Russia rebels in the affected region, who at times have fought among themselves about how to treat international organizations on the ground.
Heavily armed rebel escorts accompanied observers from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe as they traveled the Donetsk region after the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 last month, and they at times complained about their access to the crash site.
The aid measures may help ease the growing crisis in the east, where about 250,000 residents who remain in the city of Luhansk have been without electricity or water for nine days, according to officials there.
But even if aid does reach those residents, Ukraine appeared to have no intention of stopping its military operations in the region. Heavy fighting continued in Donetsk, about 75 miles away, as officials vowed to retake the rebel stronghold.
The Kremlin said Russian President Vladimir Putin had told EU Commission President José Manuel Barroso that “Russia, working together with International Red Cross officials, is sending a humanitarian convoy to Ukraine.”
Barroso's office said that in his conversation with Putin, he had “warned against any unilateral military actions in Ukraine, under any pretext, including humanitarian.” A Barroso spokesman later said Putin would send the aid through international organizations.
Separately on Monday, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said there is a “high probability” of a Russian military intervention in Ukraine.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Exiled Yemen leader orders anti-rebel fighters to merge with army to battle Houthis
- Buildings in West Bank settlement torn down by order of Israel’s Supreme Court
- U.N. projects world’s population to reach 9.7 billion by 2050, 11.2 billion by end of century
- 2013 death of Taliban leader Mullah Omar confirmed
- Debris on French island possibly that of missing Malaysia Airlines flight
- Saudis’ deadly airstrikes resume in Yemen
- Afghan intelligence: Taliban leader Mullah Omar dead 2 years
- Humanitarian cease-fire halts airstrikes in Yemen
- Turkey to stick with air offensive in ISIS battle
- Saudi-led airstrikes kill 120 in Yemen
- Suicide truck bomb kills 9, damages luxury hotel in Somali capital