TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Kiev attacks on 2 fronts; Poroshenko preps to meet Merkel, Putin

Remains to be repatriated

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — The remains of at least 15 Malaysians killed when a jetliner was shot down over Ukraine will be returned to their home country this week, the first Malaysian victims of the disaster to be flown home, the country's defense minister said Tuesday.

All 298 people on board died when Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was shot down on July 17. The plane was heading to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam and was shot out of the sky over an area of eastern Ukraine controlled by pro-Russia separatists. The victims included 43 Malaysians and 195 Dutch nationals.

With fighting between the rebels and Ukrainian forces ongoing near the crash site, victims' remains were gathered and sent to the Netherlands for identification.

Malaysian Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said Tuesday that 28 Malaysian victims had been identified so far, including 15 passengers and 13 crew members.

Daily Photo Galleries

By The Associated Press
Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, 6:42 p.m.
 

DONETSK, Ukraine — Government troops pressed attacks Tuesday in the two largest cities held by pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine, even as Kiev pursued diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict that has killed more than 2,000 and displaced 300,000.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko prepared to host German Chancellor Angela Merkel this weekend before heading to a meeting next week with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The next two weeks “will be crucial for finding the way to move from war to peace,” said Valery Chaly, the deputy head of Poroshenko's administration.

He said in a televised briefing that Kiev sees “clear diplomatic roadmap” ahead and expressed hope that a new approach could be found to end the war.

Poroshenko's efforts to quell the insurgency have been focused on encircling Donetsk, the largest rebel-controlled city and a regional capital. Fighting began in mid-April after Russia annexed Crimea, a peninsula on the Black Sea, while Kiev's forces have recaptured significant amounts of territory from the separatists.

Moscow has denied allegations by Kiev and the West that it has fomented the rebellion in the Russian-speaking parts of eastern Ukraine. It says the Ukrainian government has discriminated against residents of the region who seek closer ties to Russia.

In fighting Tuesday, one soldier was killed and four were wounded when a pro-Kiev battalion of volunteers came under mortar fire before entering the town of Ilovaysk, 18 kilometers (11 miles) east of Donetsk, Ukrainian officials said.

Among the wounded in Ilovaysk was the commander of the Donbass battalion, Semyon Semenchenko, who said his forces had destroyed three rebel checkpoints and four firing positions and that fighting continued. Semenchenko, who appears in public in his trademark balaclava, has cult hero status in Ukraine for his battlefield exploits.

Ukrainian troops also captured a neighborhood in the regional capital of Luhansk, battling rebels on the city's streets.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read World

  1. Iraq: Key town taken from Islamic State
  2. Pakistan coup fails to make finish line as parliament backs Prime Minister Sharif
  3. Iran executes woman who claimed man she killed had tried to rape her
  4. Hong Kong protesters to vote
  5. Israelis label relations with U.S. ‘critical,’ lament state of ‘crisis’
  6. Barricaded lawmakers fashioned ‘spears’ from flag poles in attack on Canada’s Parliament Hill
  7. 16 killed in China coal mine shaft collapse
  8. Mussolini’s air raid shelter opens
  9. Gestapo impostor tricked British fascists, secret files show
  10. As oil prices fall, fear rises in Venezuela
  11. Miss Uganda hopefuls get dirty in agriculture phase of contest
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.