Uniontown man charged with attempted robbery of gas station
A Uniontown man has been charged with the attempted robbery of a Connellsville gas station, one of three cases police are investigating.
Steven Vincent Campbell, 37, of 41 Shady Lane allegedly entered Reddy's Sunoco along Memorial Boulevard at 9:11 p.m. Thursday wearing a black coat and a black cap over his face. He showed a handgun and demanded money from the clerk, police said.
"The clerk refused and told him to leave," said city police Chief James Capitos. Campbell removed his hood as he left the store and walked toward York Avenue, Capitos said. The clerk called 911 and provided a description.
Connellsville police spotted Campbell, who matched the clerk's description, walking along Pittsburgh Street. As an officer approached Campbell and frisked him, police said, Campbell ran off and left behind his coat, in which a handgun was found. He was apprehended after being chased for three blocks.
Capitos said Campbell confessed.
The gun used in the holdup was a pellet gun that closely resembled a real pistol, police said.
Campbell was charged with robbery, aggravated assault, simple assault, terroristic threats, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct at District Judge Joseph George Jr.'s office. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled Thursday at District Judge Ronald Haggerty Jr.'s office.
Campbell is in the Fayette County jail in lieu of $75,000 straight cash bond.
The incident on Thursday was the third time a robbery or attempted robbery occurred at Reddy's Sunoco since Feb. 4. Arrests were made in two of the cases; one is still under investigation.
Capitos said police don't believe the incidents are related.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Florence man charged with killing police officer
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Re-enactor commits to pioneer lifestyle in Murrysville cabin
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- University of Pittsburgh researchers revisit war of electric currents
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades