High-speed police chase leads to fatal in West Mifflin
High speed is believed to have contributed to a fiery fatal accident early Monday morning in West Mifflin.
The accident occurred around 2 a.m. when the male driver of a Cadillac CTS-V Coupe lost control of the vehicle as he was apparently fleeing from police at a high rate of speed along Route 837.
Allegheny County police homicide detective Sgt. Scott Scherer said the vehicle hit a barrier, went airborne to a height believed to have been around 20 feet then struck a wall, at which point it caught fire.
The driver burned inside the vehicle and was declared dead at the scene.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office was examining the victim's dental records late Monday to make a positive identification of the man.
Scherer said West Mifflin police first noticed the Cadillac traveling in an erratic manner along Lebanon Church Road when the vehicle hit a berm and kicked up dust. Scherer said police began to follow the vehicle at a distance and observed it turn onto Camp Hollow Road and Lebanon School Road.
When the police officer put on the lights and siren of his vehicle, the Cadillac sped away. Scherer said the officer did not attempt to chase after the vehicle but notified police in Clairton and Duquesne to be on the lookout for the vehicle. As the West Mifflin officer continued in the direction of the Cadillac he came upon it in flames as he rounded a corner.
The accident remains under investigation but Scherer said, "We're sure that he was traveling at a very high rate of speed when he impacted."
The driver was alone in the vehicle. No other cars were involved in the accident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Letters home: An American in Egypt
- Shaler man’s effort restores glory to flag display at Millvale post office
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Solarize Allegheny powers up with communities
- Prison becomes detox center for growing number of inmates with addictions
- Patience serves as virtue amid pitching prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- College football preview: ACC