Atkins' performance as 'The Chief' available on DVD
On Oct. 19 "The Chief" makes its DVD debut at Giant Eagle grocery stores.
"The Chief" is a feature film of the one-man stage play that stars Tom Atkins as legendary Steelers owner Art Rooney Sr.
Written by Rob Zellers and Gene Collier, the play had its world premiere at The Pittsburgh Public Theater in 2003 and returned in each of the following seven seasons where it played to sold-out audiences.
It's set in Rooney's office on a March evening in 1976 as Rooney is about to leave for a black-tie dinner at which the Knights of Columbus will honor him with an award. Reluctant to attend, Rooney stalls by reminiscing about his upbringing, the tavern brawls and boxing matches of his early years and how he built a $2,500 football franchise into a beloved, legendary football team.
Filmed in HD in November 2009 at Shady Side Academy, the DVD reproduces the original play and Atkins' performance. It also provides 28 minutes of bonus material that includes outtakes from Steelers Nation tailgating parties, interviews with the Rooney Family including his sons Dan Rooney and Art Rooney Jr., and Steelers players and friends. Also included is a never-before-seen interview with Franco Harris regarding the "Immaculate Reception" and a clip of the iconic football catch.
The DVD retails for $24.99 and will be available exclusively at Giant Eagle stores from Oct. 19 to Nov. 9. Wider release begins on Nov. 9 when "The Chief" DVD will be sold at Steelers stores at Heinz Field, the Pittsburgh Public Theater and other outlets.
Copies of the DVD autographed by former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Franco Harris can be ordered for delivery on Nov. 9 here or 866-930-8242.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno from Derry on life support, family says
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Movement along the offensive line continues for Pitt as opener approaches
- Jeannette native Pryor’s fate hangs in balance
- Hacker stuns Dayton family with computer takeover
- MLB notebook: Fenway fan injured after trying to catch foul ball
- Don’t miss matchups for Week 1 of WPIAL football season
- Valley will feature dynamic duo in Bradley, King
- Penn State impact safety Allen working to improve
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise