Rapper Snoop Dogg planning Cheswick show
Snoop Dogg is planning a concert at the Ches-a-Rena in Cheswick to coincide with the Steelers' home opener, but the date remains in flux.
If secured, the concert could be the highest-profile performance for the new venue, which until 2008 was a roller skating arena.
Cheswick officials and rap fans are now waiting to find out if Dogg will play Sept. 9 or 11.
"He's going to be in town for the Steelers' home opener," Ches-a-Rena owner Frank Austeria says. The Steelers open the 2009 NFL season Sept. 10 with a Thursday night game against the Tennessee Titans. "I work with a few promoters, and word spread that he wanted to do a show when he was in town. He wanted to play the day of the game, but that would have gone much too late" after the game ended, he says.
Snoop Dogg has long telegraphed his fondness for Pittsburgh sports teams. He wore a Penguins jersey in his 1994 music video "Gin and Juice," followed that up with wearing Steelers clothing in other videos and appearances and said in 2005 that he wanted to coach the Steelers.
Austeria says Ches-a-Rena's capacity played a large role in attracting the concert. It fits 1,750.
The borough will work with the club to have extra police on duty and try to work with nearby businesses to help control overflow parking. Austeria and the event organizer will pay any costs involved with extra officers, cost for overflow parking and will even have portable restrooms in the area to accommodate the expected crowd.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nurse who survived Ebola virus says Dallas hospital failed her
- Power play shines in Penguins’ victory
- Penguins notebook: Pouliot dazzles in victory over Blue Jackets
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Icy roads causing multiple accidents Sunday evening
- Duquesne University football player died by suicide
- Pitt drops lead late, loses to Wake Forest
- ALICE program aims to protect students from active shooter in school
- Pirates pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- MLB notebook: Rockies select contract of former Pirates reliever Axford
- National Weather Service predicts up to 7 inches of snow before Sunday night