'Flashdance' heads to Pittsburgh stage
"Flashdance -- The Musical" will launch its national tour in Pittsburgh on Jan. 1, 2013.
The show will be presented at Heinz Hall as a presentation of the PNC Broadway Across America -- Pittsburgh series.
The musical follows Alex Owens, a working-class girl from Pittsburgh who spends her days working at a steel mill, her evenings performing as a dancer at a local bar and dreams of becoming a student at a prestigious dance academy.
The musical stage adaptation of the 1983 film that was shot in Pittsburgh debuted in London in 2010 and has been reworked in anticipation of its Broadway debut this fall.
The musical is directed and choreographed by Sergio Trujillo who choreographed "Jersey Boys," "Memphis" and "The Addams Family." It features a book by Robert Cary and Tom Hedley (co-writer of the original screenplay with Joe Eszterhas), music by Robbie Roth and lyrics by Cary and Roth.
Specific performance dates and times as well as ticket prices will be announced when the complete Broadway series is announced in early March.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- State Supreme Court: Highmark Medicare Advantage members to retain in-network access to UPMC
- New Florence man charged with killing police officer
- Eight Pitt players named to All-ACC team
- Regoli won’t seek recount in Westmoreland County judge election
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Appeals court upholds sentence of man convicted of fatal shooting outside ‘The O’
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- Baseball America names Pirates as organization of the year
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players