Westinghouse shares technology
Capitalizing on Westinghouse Electric Co. technology, two of China's largest power suppliers said Friday they plan to build a nuclear-power demonstration project near the nation's coast.
The project will take China a step forward in its effort to build a 1.4 gigawatt power plant, whose construction would begin in 2013. The plant will expand on the Westinghouse AP1000 design -- a simplified, "advanced passive" (AP) design that reduces the need for human action in the event of an accident.
Westinghouse, based in Cranberry, is building the first of four AP1000 nuclear-power plants for China under an agreement signed in 2007. Westinghouse finished its first major concrete pour Thursday on the first plant, which is scheduled to come on line in 2013.
China's demonstration project under way is "a cooperative agreement" between Westinghouse and the state-owned China Huaneng Group, said Westinghouse spokesman Vaughn Gilbert.
Gilbert did not disclose terms of the technology transfer, calling it a "commercial opportunity," but said Westinghouse would provide services and components from the United States, including Pittsburgh. The company previously committed to supply AP1000 technology as the basis for China's efforts to develop its own nuclear know-how.
Westinghouse is slated to build six, AP1000 plants in the United States, he said. The first one would come on line in 2016.
Westinghouse, which was acquired by Japan's Toshiba Group in 2006, has received orders worth $9.8 billion to build the four AP1000 plants in China.
China's State Nuclear Power Technology Corp., also known as SNPTC, will hold a 55 percent stake in the demonstration project. China Huaneng Group, the nation's largest utility, will hold the other 45 percent, SNPTC said on its Web site.
The power plant, to be located in Weihai, a coastal city in eastern China's Shandong province, would start operating by late 2017, it said.
Government plans call for nuclear plants to supply 4 percent to 6 percent of China's power needs by 2020, up from about 2 percent currently. But some estimates of planned capacity run much higher. The country now has six nuclear plants.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers wrap lackluster preseason with loss to Panthers
- $1.5 million Allentown church fire started by roofers, officials say
- UPMC to mandate flu shots for some employees
- 10 awesome things you didn’t know your phone could do
- Squabbling over money continues in ‘kids for cash’ civil suit
- GM’s legal team targeted in federal investigation
- Retired state trooper settles lawsuit over racial harassment complaint
- Penguins confident Pouliot will be healthy, ready for camp
- New Ken-Arnold board asked to mediate between football groups
- Preseason valuable for Steelers’ offensive line
- Young adults drive home rental trend in Western Pennsylvania