Salk Hall to get $50.6 million makeover
Salk Hall on the University of Pittsburgh's Oakland campus will get a $50.6 million renovation and addition, officials said.
Included in the project will be construction of an 80,000-square-foot research tower in the parking area behind the existing building.
The building will house laboratories and support spaces, which would be relocated from Salk Hall. This will allow Pitt to renovate the empty space into classrooms and offices.
No date for the work was announced.
The action was approved last month by the University of Pittsburgh's Board of Trustees budget committee as part of $148 million in general construction projects.
The Salk project was first announced in May 2007 when the university released details of its 12-year master plan for its buildings.
Occupants of the building are the University's School of Pharmacy, which provides professional and graduate courses, and the School of Dental Medicine.
Originally known as Municipal Hospital, the building was acquired by Pitt from the city of Pittsburgh in 1957 for $1.3 million. Local foundations provided the funding.
During the period from 1949 to 1954, a Pitt research team assembled by Jonas Salk developed the first polio vaccine in the basement of the hospital.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Banged-up Steelers can clinch with win over Chiefs
- Wood Center at IUP turns campus trees into art
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- U.S. coal mines nearing record low in worker deaths
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Police investigate alleged institutional sexual assault
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- New York farmers lament lost opportunity for gas riches