Pittsburgh Wine Festival supports UPMC
Thursday, and the holy water was baptizing a multitude of sins during the Pittsburgh Wine Festival, where more than 1,800 discriminating palates raised a glass in support of innovation and discovery at UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh.
"I'm open to everything!" mused Alessio Picarella, hailing from Palermo, Italy.
Our wine flight began in the East Club Lounge of Heinz Field, where we sipped our way through our pick of domestics, the perfect prep for what turned out to be a lengthy layover in the West Club Lounge. There, we poured an international flavor of French, Italian and Spanish wines, and, more importantly, the cham-pag-nay, although someone quickly sounded the alarm once the Cristal well had run dry before the free flowing Dom Perignon picked up the slack and smoothed things over for the likes of prez Ed Harrell and GM Dale Markham, internationally renowned sommelier Marnie Old, Robin Lail (of Lail Vineyards), Danielle Cyrot (winemaker at the St. Clement Winery), Bob Bertheau (head winemaker at Chateau Ste Michelle) and Duane Reider and Tim Gaber, the dynamic duo of Pittsburgh's Engine House No. 25.
All things considered, the kids remained on relatively good behavior for this one, up until the moment when our thought-to-be souvenir wine glasses were confiscated out of our swag bags by security upon exiting the elevator banks, provoking a near riot in the street.
"Wow, these really are tough economic times!" lamented one guest.
FanFare May 9
Celebrate Art & Persad at the Carnegie Museum of Art on Monday, May 10, 2010, Pittsburgh Opera Association Maecenas Ball held at the Opera's headquarters in the Strip District, Saturday, May, 8, 2010, Vida la Viva Harmony Ball Forbes Health Foundation at the Marriott Pittsburgh on Friday May 7, 2010,Burgh Blast at The Children's Museum on Friday, May 7, 2010, Carnegie Science Awards held at the Carnegie Music Hall, Friday, May, 7, 2010. Aimee Obidzinski | Tribune-Review, Asian American Film Festival, Silk Screen.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cops: Man shoots 11-year-old with BB gun in McKeesport; boy critical
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- ‘Voice of Pittsburgh’ was proud of Mon Valley roots
- 12 missing after flooding in Texas sweeps away vacation home
- With space to spare, Pittsburgh International draws corporate jet carrier
- Accident at West Virginia’s Cheat Lake sends boaters to hospital
- Consistency keeps Cellone’s Bakery customers coming back
- Theft thwarted by employee at North Huntingdon Wal-Mart
- Previewing the the 2015 WPIAL baseball championships
- Westmoreland Veterans’ Monument unveiled, rededicated in Greensburg