Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh has groovy 60s party
We're all for any party that has a cocktail table filled with glasses of electric orange-colored Tang awaiting us upon arrival. On Saturday, the Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh went 60s during Big Night: Peace, Love and the IKC 's (nickname for the Irene Kaufmann Center, the predecessor to the JCC), where a whopping 900-plus opted to take advantage of the "Groovy Garb" dress code.
"He took longer to get ready than I did ... I told him it's either the fringed vest or this!" laughed Erin Burger , of her Don Draper-fied husband, Matt .
Cans of Tab making the rounds, the hippies shared the love with the go-go dancers and beatniks, although a center stage performance by Beatles Tribute Band, The Get Back Band Band, unleashed the inner wild childs of more than a few while members, of the prim and proper looked cautiously on.
Elsewhere, JCC prez Brian Schreiber stopped to pay homage to honoree John Wolf Sr. and Lee Wolf , who were busy being greeted by a flurry of fans we heard were going to be letting the sunshine in later on that evening with a late-night, Woodstock-style concert featuring Rusted Root.
Knee-high boots, minis, tie-dyes and bell bottoms as far as the eye could see, co-chairs Ina and Larry Gumberg and Cheryl Gerson and Bruce Americus took a minute to fill us in on how they managed to assemble their vintage ensembles.
"Forty-five years ago, my mother wore this dress to a Ladies Hospital Aid Society event," mused Cheryl. "Can you imagine?"
Getting to the Point
Getting to the Point Luncheon at the Mansions on Fifth on Tuesday, March 1, 2011.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds