Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh has groovy 60s party
We're all for any party that has a cocktail table filled with glasses of electric orange-colored Tang awaiting us upon arrival. On Saturday, the Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh went 60s during Big Night: Peace, Love and the IKC 's (nickname for the Irene Kaufmann Center, the predecessor to the JCC), where a whopping 900-plus opted to take advantage of the "Groovy Garb" dress code.
"He took longer to get ready than I did ... I told him it's either the fringed vest or this!" laughed Erin Burger , of her Don Draper-fied husband, Matt .
Cans of Tab making the rounds, the hippies shared the love with the go-go dancers and beatniks, although a center stage performance by Beatles Tribute Band, The Get Back Band Band, unleashed the inner wild childs of more than a few while members, of the prim and proper looked cautiously on.
Elsewhere, JCC prez Brian Schreiber stopped to pay homage to honoree John Wolf Sr. and Lee Wolf , who were busy being greeted by a flurry of fans we heard were going to be letting the sunshine in later on that evening with a late-night, Woodstock-style concert featuring Rusted Root.
Knee-high boots, minis, tie-dyes and bell bottoms as far as the eye could see, co-chairs Ina and Larry Gumberg and Cheryl Gerson and Bruce Americus took a minute to fill us in on how they managed to assemble their vintage ensembles.
"Forty-five years ago, my mother wore this dress to a Ladies Hospital Aid Society event," mused Cheryl. "Can you imagine?"
Getting to the Pointsrc="http://photos.mycapture.com/PITT/1184272⁄34455668T.jpg" alt="Getting to the Point" title="Getting to the Point">
Getting to the Point Luncheon at the Mansions on Fifth on Tuesday, March 1, 2011.
Peace, Love and the IKCsrc="http://photos.mycapture.com/PITT/1186261⁄34511006T.jpg" alt="Peace, Love and the IKC" title="Peace, Love and the IKC">
Peace, Love and the IKCs at the JCC in Squirrel Hill Saturday, March 5, 2011. (Jasmine Goldband | Tribune-Review)
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- District football roundup: W&J advances in Division III playoffs; Slippery Rock ousted
- Bluegrass jam sessions bring out all types of musicians, fans
- ‘Gutenberg’s Apprentice’ tells how the printed Bible came to be
- In ‘The Peripheral,’ Gibson travels back to the future
- Penn State struggles against Big Ten’s worst defense in loss to Illinois
- Baldacci’s ‘Escape’ brings fast, furious twists and turns
- Police investigating shooting outside of Monessen bar
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Duquesne gets better of Robert Morris again