Pittsburgh Wine Festival held at Heinz Field
If you were wondering why your favorite watering hole was completely void of any barstoolers during happy hour on Thursday, then you needn't have looked any further than the line of people stretching halfway down the sidewalk of Heinz Field in anticipation of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival.
Rumor had it that the VIP tasting alone sold out in a matter of hours, thanks to a Groupon deal that was offered a few weeks prior to game time, leaving procrastinators scrambling to score a glass at the last minute.
Inside both the East and West Club Lounges, PWF prez Ed Harrell and General Manager Dale Markham were circulating among a crushing crowd of more than 2,200 that included PLCB chair PJ Stapleton, Engine House 25's resident wineologist Duane Rieder, Greta Rooney, Laura Gutnick, Georges Nony (visiting from Paree) and man du jour/former NFL coach Dick Vermeil, who was on hand to sign bottles of his own label, Vermeil Wines.
"The only time as a football coach I have come in here and can relax," he laughed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Pirates manage to stumble on the bases in bid for sweep of Giants
- Blairsville bar, adjacent building on fire
- Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Bucar upset with DA Zappala for alert
- 30 cited for blocking street at union rally at UPMC facility
- Layoffs possible at 5 state system schools, including Edinboro, Clarion