Pittsburgh Wine Festival held at Heinz Field
If you were wondering why your favorite watering hole was completely void of any barstoolers during happy hour on Thursday, then you needn't have looked any further than the line of people stretching halfway down the sidewalk of Heinz Field in anticipation of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival.
Rumor had it that the VIP tasting alone sold out in a matter of hours, thanks to a Groupon deal that was offered a few weeks prior to game time, leaving procrastinators scrambling to score a glass at the last minute.
Inside both the East and West Club Lounges, PWF prez Ed Harrell and General Manager Dale Markham were circulating among a crushing crowd of more than 2,200 that included PLCB chair PJ Stapleton, Engine House 25's resident wineologist Duane Rieder, Greta Rooney, Laura Gutnick, Georges Nony (visiting from Paree) and man du jour/former NFL coach Dick Vermeil, who was on hand to sign bottles of his own label, Vermeil Wines.
"The only time as a football coach I have come in here and can relax," he laughed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates set wild-card game roster
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Former employee at Plum home-building firm charged with embezzling nearly $200K
- House begins consideration of governor’s tax plan
- Sky’s not the limit: Pirate Parrot takes trip into Earth’s atmosphere
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- WPIAL hands out suspensions for Wilkinsburg-Monessen fight
- New Florence assistant fire chief charged with having sex with juvenile
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- Same cast, improved results for Pitt defense