Pittsburgh Wine Festival held at Heinz Field
By Kate Guerriero
Published: Sunday, May 8, 2011
If you were wondering why your favorite watering hole was completely void of any barstoolers during happy hour on Thursday, then you needn't have looked any further than the line of people stretching halfway down the sidewalk of Heinz Field in anticipation of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival.
Rumor had it that the VIP tasting alone sold out in a matter of hours, thanks to a Groupon deal that was offered a few weeks prior to game time, leaving procrastinators scrambling to score a glass at the last minute.
Inside both the East and West Club Lounges, PWF prez Ed Harrell and General Manager Dale Markham were circulating among a crushing crowd of more than 2,200 that included PLCB chair PJ Stapleton, Engine House 25's resident wineologist Duane Rieder, Greta Rooney, Laura Gutnick, Georges Nony (visiting from Paree) and man du jour/former NFL coach Dick Vermeil, who was on hand to sign bottles of his own label, Vermeil Wines.
"The only time as a football coach I have come in here and can relax," he laughed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mets 1B Davis
- Crews search for Latrobe woman in Linn Run State Park
- Pittsburgh-area students on the hunt for the perfect prom dress
- Hempfield native, 22, publishes with local independent press
- Man found fatally shot in Larimer a mile away from Homewood peace march
- City Theatre cancels ‘Grounded’ through April 20
- Donald turns down New York invite for NFL Draft
- Survivors in critical condition a day after fifth Armstrong County car crash victim dies
- Sculpture at Phipps links art and sustainability
- NBA commissioner Silver makes raising age limit a priority
- Pens insider: Penalty killing a concern in Stanley Cup playoffs