Pittsburgh Wine Festival held at Heinz Field
If you were wondering why your favorite watering hole was completely void of any barstoolers during happy hour on Thursday, then you needn't have looked any further than the line of people stretching halfway down the sidewalk of Heinz Field in anticipation of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival.
Rumor had it that the VIP tasting alone sold out in a matter of hours, thanks to a Groupon deal that was offered a few weeks prior to game time, leaving procrastinators scrambling to score a glass at the last minute.
Inside both the East and West Club Lounges, PWF prez Ed Harrell and General Manager Dale Markham were circulating among a crushing crowd of more than 2,200 that included PLCB chair PJ Stapleton, Engine House 25's resident wineologist Duane Rieder, Greta Rooney, Laura Gutnick, Georges Nony (visiting from Paree) and man du jour/former NFL coach Dick Vermeil, who was on hand to sign bottles of his own label, Vermeil Wines.
"The only time as a football coach I have come in here and can relax," he laughed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge lifts order blocking racy state emails
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Westmoreland crash
- Pittsburgh firefighter suffers minor electrical shock in Wilkinsburg fire
- Alligator spotted along the banks of the Allegheny River in Cheswick
- Bethel Park settled police officer’s suit for $25,000
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Steelers’ Polamalu relying on smarts as physical skills decline
- Police investigate armed robberies in Lawrenceville
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes