Pittsburgh Wine Festival held at Heinz Field
If you were wondering why your favorite watering hole was completely void of any barstoolers during happy hour on Thursday, then you needn't have looked any further than the line of people stretching halfway down the sidewalk of Heinz Field in anticipation of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival.
Rumor had it that the VIP tasting alone sold out in a matter of hours, thanks to a Groupon deal that was offered a few weeks prior to game time, leaving procrastinators scrambling to score a glass at the last minute.
Inside both the East and West Club Lounges, PWF prez Ed Harrell and General Manager Dale Markham were circulating among a crushing crowd of more than 2,200 that included PLCB chair PJ Stapleton, Engine House 25's resident wineologist Duane Rieder, Greta Rooney, Laura Gutnick, Georges Nony (visiting from Paree) and man du jour/former NFL coach Dick Vermeil, who was on hand to sign bottles of his own label, Vermeil Wines.
"The only time as a football coach I have come in here and can relax," he laughed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Duquesne Light workers find decomposing body
- Woman dead in three-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins send down pair, Bortuzzo practices
- State overseers reject Mayor Bill Peduto’s 2015 city budget
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- 550 W.Va. coal miners failed drug tests in two years
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Upcoming Western Pa. auctions include paintings, pottery, coins