Pittsburgh Wine Festival held at Heinz Field
If you were wondering why your favorite watering hole was completely void of any barstoolers during happy hour on Thursday, then you needn't have looked any further than the line of people stretching halfway down the sidewalk of Heinz Field in anticipation of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival.
Rumor had it that the VIP tasting alone sold out in a matter of hours, thanks to a Groupon deal that was offered a few weeks prior to game time, leaving procrastinators scrambling to score a glass at the last minute.
Inside both the East and West Club Lounges, PWF prez Ed Harrell and General Manager Dale Markham were circulating among a crushing crowd of more than 2,200 that included PLCB chair PJ Stapleton, Engine House 25's resident wineologist Duane Rieder, Greta Rooney, Laura Gutnick, Georges Nony (visiting from Paree) and man du jour/former NFL coach Dick Vermeil, who was on hand to sign bottles of his own label, Vermeil Wines.
"The only time as a football coach I have come in here and can relax," he laughed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Fed holds steady on rates
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise past Twins
- Chiefs star Berry beats cancer, returns to field
- NHL notebook: Olympic hockey champion Craig to sell prized memorabilia items
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Folding chair collapses, child loses tips of at least 2 fingers in Arlington
- Brooks brings standards to Scottdale concert series
- Exiled Yemen leader orders anti-rebel fighters to merge with army to battle Houthis
- Youths rock ‘Jungle Book Kids’ at Geyer
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery Association seeks aid to finance future upkeep