Carnevale at the Carnegie
Elegance intersected with eclectic whimsy within the walls of the Carnegie Music Hall on Saturday, where a handful of overachievers led by example as they sauntered into the Allegheny General Hospital Auxiliary Gala with fully accessorized black ties and ball gowns.
"There are a couple people who bought their masques in Rome and are wearing them tonight," said Gabrielle Blythe, who co-chaired the fete with Robin Trombetta.
Complimentary guises ensured that no one would be left behind during Carnevale di Venezia, as guests were seen eagerly tying one on for size in an effort to blend in with their surroundings.
Already glorious without any need for extra dressing, a burst of luxurious red lighting highlighted the ornate moldings of the foyer, while red rose centerpieces adorned with hanging tea lights added a dramatic flair that captured the Venetian theme beautifully.
A sellout with 400 guests in attendance, VIPs -- including Auxiliary prexy Mary and Dr. Donal Warde, honorary chair John and Cindy Paul, AGH interim CEO Judy Zedreck and Dr. Alex Gonzalez, West Penn Hospital CEO Duke Rupert, Andrea Joubert, Pamela Lasorda, Drs. Tony and Katie Farah, BJ and Jeff Leber, Dr. Deirdre Warde and David Corrigan , Dr. Keith Ghezzi, Dr. Jack and Diane Wilberger, Dr. George and Jamie Magovern, Dr. Hae-Dong Jho and Mi-Ja Jho, Dr. David Lasorda, Dr. Suzanne Labriola and Mike D'Amico, and Drs. Paolo Montemaggi and Patrizia Guerrieri -- were those circulating during cocktail hour as tenor Gary Lakes serenaded the crowd from the balcony with a rather powerful operatic performance.
More than $100K will benefit the Auxiliary's campaign to improve the environment on patient floors and in family waiting areas throughout the hospital.
Carnevale di Venezia Gala
Carnevale di Venezia Gala at the Carnegie Museum on Saturday, April 14, 2012.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Search for bomb turns up nothing at Kittanning school
- Wolf reverses Corbett, says deal between Highmark, UPMC doesn’t limit continuity of care to very ill
- Weather continues to cause crashes, public transportation delays
- Over the falls — Cucumber Falls that is — go 3 kayakers in Ohiopyle
- Heidelberg bar shut down for not paying drink tax
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pitt names new chairman of Department of Medicine
- Penguins’ Lovejoy embracing defensive pairing with Pouliot