Tangerine Tango deemed the color for 2012
Tangerine Tango has been named the hue of 2012.
Tangerine Tango provides "the energy we need to recharge and move forward," says Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, the global authority on professional color standards for design industries.
"Sophisticated, but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth," Eiseman says. "Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy."
Over the past several years, orange has grown in popularity and acceptance among designers and consumers, Eiseman says. A provocative attention-getter, Tangerine Tango is especially appealing in fashion.
Designers such as Tommy Hilfiger, Nanette Lepore and Elie Tahari are incorporating this high-energy splash into their spring collections.
"Color can be a mood lifter, which is why we chose Tangerine Tango," Eiseman says. "We thought that would be the perfect color, one that will get people's attention."
Adding color to your wardrobe is a fun way to extend the life of what you own, she says. You can easily do it by choosing orange accessories. The color is showing up in home items and makeup as well.
"While bold and definitely a true statement color, tangerine can be subtly translated in makeup to highlight and brighten features while still looking natural," says Blair Patterson, Estee Lauder global premier makeup artist. "Start by playing with tangerine blush colors. Mixing a tangerine blush with a basic face powder will dilute the pigment and ease you into playing up this ethereal spring look. Dust over it with a bronzer to tone down the natural brightness of this color for a fresh evening glow."
Pantone has partnered with Sephora to create the Sephora Color of the Year limited-edition beauty collection, which will feature eyeshadow, lipstick, lip gloss, nail polish and accessories. It will be available in March.
"These products allow for on-trend, uninhibited expression, while being exceptionally wearable," says Gilbert Soliz, lead artist for Sephora PRO.
Orange is such a happy color, says Gary Babcock, senior vice president of fashion and merchandising for Arhaus Furniture.
"And that is one reason why people like it," he says. "It can really add life to a room. And it is also a color that mixes and matches well with other colors."
A fun way to incorporate it is to start with pillows, a chair or even a can of orange paint for a wall, Babcock says. If you decide you don't like it, then change out the pillows, get another chair or repaint the wall.
Orange hit the fashion scene in fall when Beyonce showed her baby bump on the red carpet, says Lindsay Huggins, senior fashion market editor for Self magazine.
Orange promotes energy. Hot pink is too girlie and red is too sexy, but orange is energetic and a good statement color, Huggins says.
"It is probably not for people who shy away from the spotlight," she says. "They most likely won't buy a tangerine dress, but they might try a tangerine jacket or handbag. Orange is also an energy-boosting color. And happy clothing really helps us during the winter months, because it is so bright and uplifting."
You will see lots of bright colors for 2012, but that doesn't mean you have to go out and buy orange, just because it is "the color of the year," says Project Accessory's Eva Jeanbart-Lorenzotti.
"Color is wonderful and beautiful if it suits you, but if it doesn't, you don't have to buy it," says Jeanbart-Lorenzotti. "And it is a lot easier to wear color in the summer than the winter. At the end of the day, the color of the year is what looks good on you."
If you are trying this color for the first time when it comes to makeup, here are some tips on lipstick, blush and eyeshadow, courtesy of Blair Patterson, Estee Lauder global premier makeup artist.
• If you have dark hair or a deep skin tone, try using a range of tangerine-hued lipsticks or glosses, like Estee Lauder Pure Color lipstick in melon. The pop of color will be eye-catching and the focal point of your makeup look. To play with this bold spring statement lip color, try tweaking the drama by using a sheerer, more glossy formulation for day and a denser, more matte lipstick for night.
• If you have blue or green eyes, start with a tangerine eyeshadow shade. The unusual warm and bright hues of this color will bring out the cool tones in your eyes.
• If you are a natural blond or redhead, try playing with the blush colors. Your natural skin tone will support the bright pop of tangerine on the cheeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Stakes raised for Pitt spring game
- Penguins push to sell playoff hockey tickets
- Knoch’s Geist sets shot put, discus records at Butler Invitational
- Greensburg high school roundup: Norwin edges section rival Penn-Trafford
- North Hills-area family continues helping out-of-town patients
- Penguins stars Crosby, Malkin enduring playoff slump
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Mackey: For Pens’ Winnik, playing with Crosby an ongoing process
- Penguins’ 4th line a bright spot in Game 1 loss
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart