Bear's Inn treats go beyond superb wings
Bear's Inn wings are legendary in the Lower Valley, and a recent visit by the Lunch Bunch confirmed the legend.
The restaurant and bar just off the Allegheny Valley Expressway in Harwick, Springdale Township, has some of the best wings around. For our wing lovers, we ordered a dozen of the Hot Wings ($9.50). The meaty wings were bathed in a hot sauce peppered with jalapeno slices for extra heat. They made one guest break out in a sweat (and a smile), while others found them finger-licking good.
We went hog wild and ordered the Combo Platter ($9) for sharing. The large platter held all kinds of fried goodies: thin lengths of battered zucchini, 1-inch-sized hot-pepper cheese balls (a big thumbs up), beer-battered onion rings, fried cauliflower, mushrooms, provolone sticks and a couple poppers, which are jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese and fried.
Our Fish Sandwich ($6.50) was a long length of mild fish that was breaded and fried to a crunch. We ate the hangover around the round bun and enjoyed the full sandwich later when we weren't sampling from the huge combo platter.
The Steak Hoagie ($6.75) arrived on a soft roll that cradled thinly sliced and grilled steak, cheese and the works: onion slices, green pepper, pickles, mushroom, lettuce, tomato and mayo. The Chicken Fingers ($4.25) looked more like chicken breasts. We were expecting smaller, thinner pieces of chicken, but instead got rather large pieces of tender and juicy white chicken pieces. We ordered these to go and wished we would have asked whether the ktichen had dipping sauce.
The Bacon Cheeseburger ($4) ranks high, as far as cheeseburgers go. We found our hamburger patty thick, juicy and fully cooked. We ordered lettuce, pickle and ketchup as extras.
Salads are popular at Bear's Inn, too. The Steak Salad ($7.75) featured savory chipped steak served on a generous portion of iceberg lettuce, topped with fresh-cut fries, shredded cheese, tomatoes, olives, beets, onions and cucumbers. The salad is large enough that it can be shared by two diners.
Compiled by Rebecca Killian, Sis Reola and guests.
Meals are paid for by the Valley News Dispatch and are unrelated to advertising.Additional Information:
Address: 710 Hite Road, Harwick, Springdale Township
Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays; noon-10 p.m. Sundays
Credit cards: None
Smoking: Not permitted in dining room, only in bar area
Handicapped accessible: Yes
Prices: Appetizers, $2-$9; sandwiches, $1.75-$7.25; salads, $3.50-$7.75; wings, $4.75-$9
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pa., W.Va. and Ohio to coordinate efforts to attract shale-related business
- Rossi: Just wait until Ben comes back
- Tomlin on Bell’s late TD: ‘We were going to go for it’
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin dismisses clock run-off near end of Chargers game
- Water leak under Banksville Road doesn’t bode well for commuters
- Washington County woman dies from shotgun wound
- Pittsburgh considering self-insured health benefits to cut costs
- Steelers defense displays resiliency in victory over Chargers
- A farewell party for the Greenfield Bridge, then the headaches that follow
- Propane, oil prices expected to be lower over winter
- Export man accused of shooting woman over phone use