Patron Mexican Grill offers tasty dishes amid colorful surroundings
On its website, Patron Mexican Grill promises authentic Mexican cuisine in "an atmosphere of tranquility."
The cuisine might be authentic, but "tranquility" is not the first thing that comes to mind upon entering this lively family restaurant in Wexford.
It's loud, particularly when a contingent of black-clad servers swarm a table where a customer is having a birthday. This milestone is commemorated with an enthusiastic chorus of "Las Mananitas," a traditional Mexican song. One server beats out percussion on a plastic bucket.
But Patron Mexican Grill has its devotees who swear by its shrimp tacos and apple cider margaritas. This is no chain, but a business built by Martin Bolanos, who designed the menu using recipes from all over his native Mexico.
He says he will open a third Patron in O'Hara next month. They already operate a second location in Monroeville.
The hacienda-style interior features stone arches and bright colors, including lime green, sky blue and fiery red. The high-backed booths, shaped like the headboards of a bed, bristle with carved parrots, palm fronds and angels and colorful south-of-the-border landscapes. They're created by hand in Mexico, Bolanos says. No two are alike.
For diners, a good place to start is the sampler plate ($11.99). It features two small chimichangas with your choice of chicken or cheese, four hot chicken wings, a quesadilla, two taquitas and a bowl of fiesta dip, which consists of refried beans and ground beef pico de gallo topped with cheese dip.
The spinach quesadilla ($7.99) is simple but filling. It's a flour tortilla mixed with cheese and served with sour cream, lettuce and tomato on the side. Another good choice is the Fiesta Burrito ($7.99 lunch), which features melted cheese sauce and your choice of chicken or steak, sauteed with onions, tomatoes and bell peppers in a large flour tortilla.
Patron features an express lunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Their lunch specials include a bean burrito, cheese enchilada and Spanish rice for $6.95. A la carte items that can provide a quick noontide fix include the beef burrito ($3.75; $6.99 for two) and the tostada ($3.99; $6.99 for two).Additional Information:
Patron Mexican Grill
Location: 11675 Perry Highway, Wexford, PA 15090
Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Fridays; noon to 10:30 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 9 p.m. Sundays.
Details: 724-935-3559 or patronmexgrill.com
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- IBM’s Watson supercomputing system to be applied to PTSD
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Butler County initiative aims to find employment for struggling job-seekers
- Sony hack signals new, public front in cyber warfare