Celtic theme dominates at North Shore's Tilted Kilt
The website for the Tilted Kilt touts the establishment as the "best-looking sports pub you've ever seen."
The North Shore eatery, which opened late in 2010, is an attractive place. But it's not merely because of the comely lassies or servers who wear the shortest of plaid skirts and cleavage-revealing tops.
The Tilted Kilt itself is a handsome, well-appointed establishment. Located on the North Shore near Heinz Field and Stage AE, the Celtic-themed sports bar features muted lighting -- at least during the lunch rush -- sturdy wooden tables and chairs, and walls covered in images of hurlers, bagpipers and anything else that you can think of that's plaid or Irish.
That said, the servers tend to dominate the place. In constant motion, they're pleasant and chatty (no Debbie Downers need apply), and it's little wonder there were more men than women during a recent lunchtime outing. (The busboys also wear kilts, but they are knee-length and far less revealing.)
With multiple flat-screen TVs dedicated to sports channels scattered throughout the pub, it is a guy's paradise.
But all the eye candy in the world can't mask subpar food and beverages. From a small sampling, the Tilted Kilt appears to deliver on both counts.
There are traditional burgers and sandwiches, but the specialities on the menu have a Celtic flavor. Danny Boy's Shepherd's Pie ($9.99) is rich concoction of seasoned ground beef, carrots, peas, topped with garlic mashed potatoes, parmesan cheese and mushroom gravy. Olde Dublin Irish Stew ($9.99) features beef pot roast, celery, carrots and a "hearty Guinness beef stock," topped with a scoop of Colcannon potatoes.
There's also the Scottish Cheesesteak sandwich ($9.99), shaved ribeye steak with grilled peppers, onions and melted provolone cheese. (This item also is served as a flatbread pizza for $9.99).
The Sloppy Jane ($8.99) is a more genteel version of a sloppy joe with turkey or shaved ribeye steak (served hot or cold) on a bun with Thousand Island dressing, Swiss cheese and cole slaw. The Fat Bastard's Meatloaf Sandwich ($11.99), a nod to Mike Myer's character in the Austin Powers movies, is a mound of made-from-scratch meatloaf on an open-faced hoagie bun with Guinness BBQ Sauce and shoestring onions.
The Tilted Kilt offers a variety of drink specials. Notably, all draft beers are $2 on Tuesdays. Also, the 17th of every month is St. Practice Day, a dry run for St. Paddy's day with the servers in full-blown Irish mode.Additional Information:
The Tilted Kilt
Location: 353 North Shore Drive, North Shore
Hours: 11 a.m. to midnight Mondays to Wednesdays; 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursdays to Saturdays; 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sundays.
Details: 412-235-7823 or website
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Western Pennsylvania schools’ denial of access to roofers prompts suit
- Pa. business interests decry EPA ozone proposal as economic albatross
- Statewide high school football notebook: Longtime Berwick coach set to begin final season
- American to halt 2 direct routes from Pittsburgh International
- Hempfield officials to review site plan for Excela Health Orthoplex
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno from Derry on life support, family says
- Pittsburgh Crime Stoppers search for suspect in Clairton murder