Transplant surgeon joins Allegheny General staff
Allegheny General Hospital added a third transplant surgeon to join its growing transplant program, officials announced Thursday.
Dr. Akhtar S. Khan comes from the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, where he was director of the kidney and pancreas transplant program and assistant professor of surgery at Penn State College of Medicine since 2005.
Prior to that, he was an attending transplant surgeon at the University of Pittsburgh's Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute.
Khan will join the abdominal transplant surgical team of Drs. Ngoc Thai and Kusum Tom. The hospital has been a center for organ transplantation since 1987 and began performing liver transplants in November 2007.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With Malkin out, Penguins fall to Flyers, 4-1
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Former Plum teacher says he warned district about possible inappropriate conduct
- Pirates’ McCutchen leaves game early, says he is not hurt
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- Pirates notebook: Richard doesn’t exercise opt-out clause in contract
- Pirates planning on maximizing the versatility of Rodriguez
- A mayor and his dog: Peduto adopts from Western Pennsylvania Humane Society
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
- Time catches up with longstanding Port Vue group
- Wines claimed to be toxic with arsenic won’t be pulled by state Liquor Control Board