Former state legislator LaGrotta to be charged with corruption
Former state Rep. Frank LaGrotta today was charged with two felony counts for hiring his sister and niece as legislative assistants in 2006 and paying them thousands of dollars in public money for work they never performed.
LaGrotta, 49, his sister Ann Bartolomeo, 46, and her daughter, Alissa Lemmon, 24, all of Ellwood City, were charged on the recommendation of an investigative grand jury, Attorney General Tom Corbett said.
LaGrotta, who served 10 terms in the House, is charged with two felony counts of conflict of interest. Bartolomeo and Lemmon each face counts of false swearing for allegedly lying to the grand jury.
"This is a case of a public servant abusing his position of trust and power to financially reward his family members at the taxpayers' expense," Corbett said.
LaGrotta was defeated in the May 2006 Democratic primary. He lost his seat in the voter backlash against the 2005 legislative pay raise. LaGrotta had voted for the pay hike, which was rescinded in November 2005. The charges come a day after seven top House Democratic staffers were forced out of their jobs in a move related to the bonus probe.
The investigation lately has focused on the House Democratic leadership, which awarded $1.8 million in bonuses -- some in excess of $25,000 -- when it won control of the House in 2006.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Intruder in Carrick makes off with cash, weapon
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Annual Holiday Parade to celebrate all things Pittsburgh
- Artis leads Pitt to lopsided victory over Cornell
- 1 dead, 1 injured after crash in North Point Breeze