Pirates third baseman Alvarez sits out practice
BRADENTON, Fla. — Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez sat out today's spring training workouts due to neck spasms.
General manager Neal Huntington did not specify how and when Alvarez was injured.
"He woke up this morning with a sore neck," Huntington said. "He's day to day."
Left-hander Scott Olsen threw long toss this morning on Field 4 at Pirate City. Olsen, who's expected to compete for the fifth starter job, has been out since last week with a strained left hamstring.
"We're still working through it on a daily basis," Huntington said. "We'll let you know in a couple of days where he is (physically)."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- W.V. entrepreneurs offer hope as coal fades as economic engine
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Slain St. Clair officer walked into ‘worst nightmare’ for police
- Ex-recreation director settles age discrimination lawsuit against Pittsburgh
- Mentor takes young Brackenridge hunter under his wing
- Field conditions could play factor for Clairton in PIAA quarterfinals
- 7 percent in Allegheny County allowed to carry concealed gun
- Increasing player salaries pinch financial flexibility of Pirates
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- 2,200 union employees of ATI lose coverage