Pens acquire Kovalev from Senators
The Penguins acquired right wing Alex Kovalev today from the Ottawa Senators for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.
Kovalev, 38, spent parts of five seasons and was a two-time All-Star with the Penguins from 1998-2003, when the 6-foot-2, 222-pounder scored 149 goals and 347 points and had 11 goals and 28 points in 39 playoff games. His best season came in 2000-01, when he had 44 goals and 95 points.
The pick becomes a sixth-round selection if the Penguins win the first round of the playoffs and he plays at least 50 percent of the games in that round. Kovalev had 27 points (14 goals, 13 assists) in 54 games with Ottawa this season, including six goals and nine points in his past 10 games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Unsung backups provide boost for Steelers defensive line
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Penguins lose hard-fought game to Blue Jackets in overtime
- Starkey: Flashback Friday for Pitt
- Nuclear crossroad: California reactors face uncertain future
- Puppy, pals come to rescue of Lower Burrell firefighters
- Unabashed church pastors put politics front and center
- Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
- Republicans roll dice as Trump headlines Pennsylvania Society event
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami