Pirates take shortstop in Rule 5 draft
DALLAS • On the final day of the Winter Meetings, the Pirates today took shortstop Gustavo Nunez from the Detroit Tigers system with the eighth overall pick in the major league phase of the Rule 5 draft.
Nunez, 23, last season hit a combined .276 with five homers and 26 RBI in 96 games for High-A Lakeland and Double-A Erie. The switch-hitter was named to the Class A Florida State League midseason all-star team.
"He's the classic defensive profile for a young shortstop," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said. "The ability to field, throw and run. We recognize the challenges he faced at Double-A with the bat and we also recognize that he finished the season on the disabled list. We'll take a look at him in spring training. It was a $25,000 gamble."
The Pirates must keep Nunez on their 25-man roster all season or offer him back to Detroit for half the $50,000 draft fee.
Also, the Arizona Diamondbacks drafted right-hander Brett Lorin off the Pirates' Triple-A roster.
The Pirates took three players in the Triple-A phase of the draft: left-hander Aaron Poreda and catcher Francisco Diaz and Charles Cutler. Poreda was a first-round draft pick in 2007, but poor control has derailed his career.
"We were kind of shocked to see (Poreda) available," director of baseball operations Tyrone Brooks said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams
- 11 more artist-designed bike racks from Cultural Trust line Pittsburgh streets
- Christmas comes to Westmoreland County in many ways
- Thanksgiving by the numbers
- McIntyre students hope Buddy Bench is beneficial to all
- House Republicans call for refugee limits in spending bill
- Penn State coach Franklin calls for patience
- Obama pledges support for France against ISIS, wary of role for Russia
- ISIS claims hotel attack in Egypt
- North Hills businessman’s secretary pleads guilty, says she helped him hide $27M from IRS
- Penguins notebook: Cole more at ease facing former team