Pirates option Marte, four others
BRADENTON, Fla. — The Pirates this morning optioned outfielder Starling Marte, who had been the star of camp, as well as outfielder fielder Gorkys Hernandez and pitchers Kyle McPherson, Bryan Morris and Justin Wilson to Class AAA Indianapolis.
Marte, 23, batted .529 with two home runs and played mostly well on defense. But he never has played above Class AA, and management had stated all along he would return to the minors.
The team wants to see more patience at the plate — he led the Eastern League with a .332 batting average but his on-base percentage was .370 — in large part to develop his power.
The camp roster is at 43.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Harrison eyes stretch run
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Michigan State takes bumpy road to finale against Penn State
- HS highlight reel: Pair of title games to be on tape delay Saturday
- House fire displaces family of 6 in Somerset County
- Palestinian artist who appealed blasphemy sentence of 800 lashes, prison sentenced to execution
- Gorman: Thomas Jefferson quarterback Kelley savors run after injuries, illness
- Knoch girls seek dividends of experience