Dan Rooney endorses Sen. Barack Obama
Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney today endorsed Sen. Barack Obama in this open letter:
Dear Fellow Pennsylvanian,
Based on the experiences that I have had in my seventy-five years and my assessment of what I think our nation needs to make real the change that is so needed, I am proud and now feel compelled to endorse Senator Barack Obama.
This is not something that I do regularly but as I listen to the candidates in this race, I am struck that we continue to hear about the problems and the same challenges that we have been talking about for decades. Protecting jobs here in Pennsylvania, breaking our dangerous and costly addiction to foreign oil, making health care accessible and affordable " these are neither new issues nor new ideas. And yet we have failed to make real progress.
As a grandfather and a citizen of this community I think Barack Obama's, thoughtful, strategic approach is important for America. When I hear how excited young people seem to be when they talk about this man, I believe he will do what is best for them which is to inspire them to be great Americans.
This time, we can't afford to wait. Our country needs a new direction and a new kind of leadership " the kind of leadership, judgment and experience that Senator Obama has demonstrated in more than 20 years of public service, and in a particularly impressive way in this campaign. Senator Obama has rejected the say-and-do anything tactics that puts winning elections ahead of governing the country. And he has rejected the back-room politics in favor of opening government up to the people. Barack Obama is the one candidate in this race who can finally put an end to business as usual in Washington and bring about real change for Pittsburgh and the country as a whole. He has inspired me and so many other people around our country with new ideas and fresh perspectives.
True sports fans know that you support your team even when they are the underdogs. Barack Obama is the underdog here but it is with great pride that I join his team.
When I think of Barack Obama's America I have great hope. I support his candidacy and look forward to his Presidency
Daniel M. Rooney, Owner and Chairman, Pittsburgh Steelers
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Lenape students work on Habitat house in Kittanning
- Wardens on the prowl for unlicensed dogs in Armstrong this week
- Mon-Yough Tuesday takes
- Injuries to Penguins’ Ehrhoff, Letang force defense to pick up slack
- Body pulled from river in Charleroi
- Former Pa. Gov. Corbett: From pension critic to collector
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Ohio governor Kasich, a McKees Rocks native, considers presidential run
- Blaze guts South Greensburg home, kills 2 dogs
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter