Dan Rooney endorses Sen. Barack Obama
Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney today endorsed Sen. Barack Obama in this open letter:
Dear Fellow Pennsylvanian,
Based on the experiences that I have had in my seventy-five years and my assessment of what I think our nation needs to make real the change that is so needed, I am proud and now feel compelled to endorse Senator Barack Obama.
This is not something that I do regularly but as I listen to the candidates in this race, I am struck that we continue to hear about the problems and the same challenges that we have been talking about for decades. Protecting jobs here in Pennsylvania, breaking our dangerous and costly addiction to foreign oil, making health care accessible and affordable " these are neither new issues nor new ideas. And yet we have failed to make real progress.
As a grandfather and a citizen of this community I think Barack Obama's, thoughtful, strategic approach is important for America. When I hear how excited young people seem to be when they talk about this man, I believe he will do what is best for them which is to inspire them to be great Americans.
This time, we can't afford to wait. Our country needs a new direction and a new kind of leadership " the kind of leadership, judgment and experience that Senator Obama has demonstrated in more than 20 years of public service, and in a particularly impressive way in this campaign. Senator Obama has rejected the say-and-do anything tactics that puts winning elections ahead of governing the country. And he has rejected the back-room politics in favor of opening government up to the people. Barack Obama is the one candidate in this race who can finally put an end to business as usual in Washington and bring about real change for Pittsburgh and the country as a whole. He has inspired me and so many other people around our country with new ideas and fresh perspectives.
True sports fans know that you support your team even when they are the underdogs. Barack Obama is the underdog here but it is with great pride that I join his team.
When I think of Barack Obama's America I have great hope. I support his candidacy and look forward to his Presidency
Daniel M. Rooney, Owner and Chairman, Pittsburgh Steelers
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Blairsville district judge placed on leave
- Police: Ambush suspect was military re-enactor
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Hazelwood man blames repaving job for flooded basement, seeks $50K settlement
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat
- Western Pa. colleges to emphasize curricula for energy, industrial fields
- Sexual assault victim could receive $100K settlement from Pittsburgh
- Marshals make arrest in fatal Strip District shooting
- Orie denied bid to appeal conviction on corruption charges
- Second Mile seeks to sell land that was to be its headquarters