UPMC ranked 12th on list of best hospitals
UPMC earned a spot on the honor roll of the annual U.S. News & World Report rankings of the nation's best hospitals.
UPMC ranked 12th overall, up from last year's 13th place. UPMC was one of 17 hospital systems that made the magazine's annual honor roll. UPMC also placed in the top ten in nine medical specialties: Ear, nose and throat, respiratory disorders, gynecology, orthopedics, psychiatry, geriatric care, neurology and neurosurgery, rheumatology and digestive disorders.
The Honor Roll lists facilities that demonstrate excellence and breadth of expertise by ranking at or near the top in at least six specialties. The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore earned the top spot among about 5,000 hospitals in the United States for the 22nd year, according to U.S. News and World Report's 2011-2012 rankings.
The 2011 rankings also ranked Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh's North Side among the top 50 centers in the nation for quality care in the fields of cardiology and heart surgery, gastroenterology and orthopedics.
Allegheny General and several of its sister hospitals -- Forbes Regional Hospital in Monroeville, Allegheny Valley Hospital in Natrona Heights and West Penn Hospital in Bloomfield -- were recognized in regional rankings for high achievement in several of the 16 specialty areas analyzed by the magazine.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healing touch: Shadyside jewelry designer undertakes project to help artisans in Guatemala
- Body pulled from river in Charleroi
- Music festivals say ‘no’ to fans’ selfie sticks
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Campus clippings: Ailing back doesn’t slow Allegheny’s Killian
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Recent early retirements in NFL could be trend — or simply a coincidence
- Supreme Court allows Obamacare’s Medicare costs board to stand
- Driver airlifted after truck slams into utility pole in Sewickley Township
- DIY ideas for the Easter brunch table