Avonworth Middle School student, 13, suspended for 'hit list'
A student at Avonworth Middle School was suspended after authorities said he created what resembled a hit list containing dates and the names of several students.
The eighth-grader, who was not identified or charged, left the list on a school bus May 4, police said.
"You can't discount anything, and you can't take chances, but we checked it out and don't feel that he was explicitly threatening to kill anyone," Ohio Township police Chief Norbert Micklos said Monday. "He just said he was frustrated so he wrote their names down."
The list was written on a piece of paper contained within a notebook of death poems and other items from a Japanese animation website that contains a section called "Death Note."
The list named several eighth-grade boys, along with a girl who no longer attends the school and pop star Justin Bieber, Micklos said. Dates with the names stretched into 2012, but there was no specific threat, Micklos said.
The parents of the children were contacted, and school officials suspended the student for several days.
District officials did not return calls for comment.
One parent, whose son's name was on the list, said she's concerned.
"It's scary," said the mother, who didn't want her name to be used. "You hear about all the things that happen in schools, and they find a list, and next thing you know the kid has brought a gun to school."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- ATI picket injured at Harrison mill
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Despite being suspended, Boyd still making contributions for Pitt
- Pitt’s Narduzzi names 4 captains
- Trib Total Media puts 9 Western Pa. newspapers up for sale
- ‘Action’ against AG Kane sent to Supreme Court, sources say
- Cops nab 4 in Monessen drug hangout