Avonworth Middle School student, 13, suspended for 'hit list'
A student at Avonworth Middle School was suspended after authorities said he created what resembled a hit list containing dates and the names of several students.
The eighth-grader, who was not identified or charged, left the list on a school bus May 4, police said.
"You can't discount anything, and you can't take chances, but we checked it out and don't feel that he was explicitly threatening to kill anyone," Ohio Township police Chief Norbert Micklos said Monday. "He just said he was frustrated so he wrote their names down."
The list was written on a piece of paper contained within a notebook of death poems and other items from a Japanese animation website that contains a section called "Death Note."
The list named several eighth-grade boys, along with a girl who no longer attends the school and pop star Justin Bieber, Micklos said. Dates with the names stretched into 2012, but there was no specific threat, Micklos said.
The parents of the children were contacted, and school officials suspended the student for several days.
District officials did not return calls for comment.
One parent, whose son's name was on the list, said she's concerned.
"It's scary," said the mother, who didn't want her name to be used. "You hear about all the things that happen in schools, and they find a list, and next thing you know the kid has brought a gun to school."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Penguins notebook: Martin not concerned about expiring contract
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Gorman: Quitting not the answer
- Steelers notebook: RT Gilbert not in danger of losing his job
- Colleges in Western Pa. to emphasize curricula for energy, industrial fields
- Guido: Friday night lights brighter for Pirates
- Knoch’s stellar ‘D’ sets tone in 6th straight shutout
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Shaler’s Ryan Landry, Mt. Lebanon’s Laura Pryor