Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- NFL Draft preview: QB crop thin after top 2
- Baylor’s Petty trying to buck stereotype
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- Hip science: Rock-star physicists make tough concepts easier to understand
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- From Hill District to India and Alaska, salon owner’s 107 years full of color
- Development group sees huge potential in North Side
- Australians, Kiwis mark centenary of bloody battle
- Comcast covers Western Pa. with volunteers
- Artists look at mis-remembering lives