Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five taken to hospitals after school bus-SUV crash in Washington Township
- Federal tax-fraud investigation appears to be closing in on North Hills businessman
- McKeesport juvenile hit by school bus on Eden Park Boulevard
- Hempfield faculty given active shooter training
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Porterfield: Normalville firefighters to sell hoagies
- Youngwood pool ends 2015 season in the black
- Pitt’s Bisnowaty ‘ready to go’ but may not start vs. Youngstown State