Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- New heart failure drug works much better than current treatment, study finds