Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hurdle says Pirates must eliminate defensive gaffes
- NHL notebook: Red Wings waiting for AHL team to finish before naming coach
- Storms knock out power to several hundred in Western Pa.
- Judge: UPMC must provide in-network access to Highmark Medicare members
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Chinese artillery spotted on artificial island
- Islamic State group claims Shiite mosque blast in Saudi Arabia
- Silk Road founder Ulbricht gets life term for drug-selling website
- Penn State lands 4-star offensive lineman from Reading
- Judge dismisses UPMC ‘data breach’ lawsuit
- Man dies trying to escape fire at his North Buffalo home