Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- LaBar: Updated WWE Network numbers, its future
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- Ford City’s teamwork, emotion take center stage in semifinal win over Freeport
- Pitt, IUP to experiment with 30-second shot clock
- Penguins assistant coach Tocchet wants Letang to shoot more on power play
- Friends take to social media to recall Herminie teen
- Few knew of cyber attack on White House computer network
- District football preview: Tough test for Waynesburg in PSAC West
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Gorman: Billy Holt’s big moment for Albert Gallatin