Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- United Airlines hack coincided with incursion into government employee data
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Area coaches prefer staying put for camp
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension