Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle
- Italian Village Pizza owners plead guilty to tax evasion, conspiracy
- Attorney General drops charges against ‘upper-level’ heroin dealers
- Steelers cornerbacks Allen, Gay, Taylor have something to prove
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Parade of Mustangs to kick off Connellsville’s Mum Festival
- Military: Jet in Virginia crash based in Mass.
- Steelers notebook: Team cuts 15 players, including LB So’oto, RB Hall
- EDMC reaches debt-restructuring deal with creditors
- Medical pot advocates speak up at meeting with Sen. Folmer in Export
- Pittsburgh paramedics treat 38 people at Stage AE concert