Newsmaker: Garry P. Condon
Residence : Hampton
Family : Wife, Linda; son Liam, 17; and daughter Maura, 15
Age : 52
Occupation : Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where he directs the Division of Glaucoma Services. He also is a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Background : He earned his medical degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland. His clinical interests include glaucoma, cataract and intraocular lens surgery.
Noteworthy : Condon received the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. He is among 35 doctors nationwide to win the honor, which recognizes contributions such as serving as an instructor, writing research papers, being a committee member or developing educational materials.
Quote : "It's kind of like a crowning achievement in my career. It's a direct reflection of me being involved with so many other people who have had me along on certain committees and panels that relate to teaching and research. It was a very pleasant surprise."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- Steelers receiver Wheaton takes advantage of opportunity in breakout game
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- Increasing player salaries pinch financial flexibility of Pirates
- New Florence man charged with killing police officer
- NFL notebook: Report: No tears in Gronkowski’s knee
- Steelers notebook: Bryant confident in backup Jones if Big Ben can’t play
- West Virginia notebook: Mountaineers could factor into Kansas State bowl situation
- Opening day of deer season draws better crowds than a year ago
- School bus heavily damaged in Homewood fire