Newsmaker: Mary Margaret Kerr
Mary Margaret Kerr
Family: Husband, Bruce Perrone; son, Rob; daughter, Cristina
Occupation: Professor, School of Education, University of Pittsburgh
Education: Doctorate in education, The American University, 1977; master's degree in special education, Duke University, 1973; bachelor's degree in developmental psychology, Duke, 1972
Professional experience: Kerr has been a faculty member at Pitt since 1980, where she holds appointments in the departments of Administrative and Policy Studies, Psychology in Education and Child Psychiatry. Kerr is licensed as a K-12 school superintendent. Before arriving at Pitt, Kerr was a faculty member at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee.
Notable: Kerr has been chosen as the Borough of Whitehall's Citizen of the Year.
Quote: "It's a tremendous honor, in part because this is a community that not only has welcomed me as a Southern stranger (she is a native of South Carolina), but also has been very kind to me and the family we've raised here."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stocks slammed as manufacturing slows in U.S., abroad
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office seeks halt to sheriff’s sale of Conneaut Lake Park
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- Former Steelers doctor loses bid for Miranda protection
- Enterovirus D68 case confirmed in southwestern Pennsylvania
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Fans flock to what they hope will continue ‘magical season’