Newsmaker: Mary Margaret Kerr
Mary Margaret Kerr
Family: Husband, Bruce Perrone; son, Rob; daughter, Cristina
Occupation: Professor, School of Education, University of Pittsburgh
Education: Doctorate in education, The American University, 1977; master's degree in special education, Duke University, 1973; bachelor's degree in developmental psychology, Duke, 1972
Professional experience: Kerr has been a faculty member at Pitt since 1980, where she holds appointments in the departments of Administrative and Policy Studies, Psychology in Education and Child Psychiatry. Kerr is licensed as a K-12 school superintendent. Before arriving at Pitt, Kerr was a faculty member at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee.
Notable: Kerr has been chosen as the Borough of Whitehall's Citizen of the Year.
Quote: "It's a tremendous honor, in part because this is a community that not only has welcomed me as a Southern stranger (she is a native of South Carolina), but also has been very kind to me and the family we've raised here."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kobani emerges as pivot point
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Health care law compliance complex for employers
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Pennsylvania legislative redistricting to take full effect in state House elections
- West Virginia whips Oklahoma State for 4th straight win
- Road Trip! Destination: Chicago
- Indiana couple’s bond grows stronger after devastating accident
- Stand Down Pittsburgh reaches out to veterans, homeless civilians
- North Allegheny girls defend state team tennis title
- Shooting for net-zero: Equal energy in, out of the home