Newsmaker: Mary Margaret Kerr
Mary Margaret Kerr
Family: Husband, Bruce Perrone; son, Rob; daughter, Cristina
Occupation: Professor, School of Education, University of Pittsburgh
Education: Doctorate in education, The American University, 1977; master's degree in special education, Duke University, 1973; bachelor's degree in developmental psychology, Duke, 1972
Professional experience: Kerr has been a faculty member at Pitt since 1980, where she holds appointments in the departments of Administrative and Policy Studies, Psychology in Education and Child Psychiatry. Kerr is licensed as a K-12 school superintendent. Before arriving at Pitt, Kerr was a faculty member at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee.
Notable: Kerr has been chosen as the Borough of Whitehall's Citizen of the Year.
Quote: "It's a tremendous honor, in part because this is a community that not only has welcomed me as a Southern stranger (she is a native of South Carolina), but also has been very kind to me and the family we've raised here."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- If ‘evil’ doesn’t apply to ISIS, what does?
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- New Dayton food pantry sees more people each week
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Labor United Celebration draws 25,000 to Northmoreland Park
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County