Newsmaker: Janie Harden Fritz
Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Husband, Carl
Education: B.A., speech communication, University of Georgia 1982; master's degree, speech communication, University of Georgia, 1984; Ph.D., communication arts, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1993
Background: Fritz began teaching at Duquesne University earning her doctorate, and she is an associate professor in the McAnulty College and Graduate School of the Liberal Arts, director of undergraduate studies in the communications department and director of the master's program for the department of communication and rhetorical studies.
Notable: Fritz has been recognized with the university's Presidential Excellence Award in Service to the Mission for her work to advance Duquesne's mission of service to students and the community. She has given more than 30 talks on campus and in the community, including addresses on civility and conflict resolution for student groups; time management for graduate students; and professional civility for faculty and staff in the university library.
Quote: "Communication is so powerful; we can destroy with it, we can create; we can use it to support one another and build each other up or we can just devastate each other. ... We don't 'use' communication, we dwell in it."
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Patience serves as virtue amid pitching prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Port Authority’s plan for car-free communities slow to bear fruit