Newsmaker: Janie Harden Fritz
Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Husband, Carl
Education: B.A., speech communication, University of Georgia 1982; master's degree, speech communication, University of Georgia, 1984; Ph.D., communication arts, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1993
Background: Fritz began teaching at Duquesne University earning her doctorate, and she is an associate professor in the McAnulty College and Graduate School of the Liberal Arts, director of undergraduate studies in the communications department and director of the master's program for the department of communication and rhetorical studies.
Notable: Fritz has been recognized with the university's Presidential Excellence Award in Service to the Mission for her work to advance Duquesne's mission of service to students and the community. She has given more than 30 talks on campus and in the community, including addresses on civility and conflict resolution for student groups; time management for graduate students; and professional civility for faculty and staff in the university library.
Quote: "Communication is so powerful; we can destroy with it, we can create; we can use it to support one another and build each other up or we can just devastate each other. ... We don't 'use' communication, we dwell in it."
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Dense fog slows Western Pa. morning rush hour
- WPIAL football coaches use unique awards to motivate their players
- Police: Westmoreland woman forged painkiller prescriptions