Newsmaker: Judy Barricella
Family: Sons, Anthony, 23, and Jesse, 18
Occupation: Director, Allegheny County's Disability Connection, a county Human Services program that helps people with disabilities
Education: She graduated with a bachelor's degree in speech and hearing science from the University of Pittsburgh in 1973. She earned her master's degree in speech therapy from the University of South Florida in 1976.
Background: She started her career as a speech therapist but went on to help found the Three Rivers Center for Independent Living in 1980 and serve as its first executive director. After eight years, she left to start her own consulting company, Commonwealth Mentor Group. She started working for Allegheny County in 2000.
Noteworthy: Three Rivers Center for Independent Living is giving Barricella its Ruth and George Brenyo Achievement Award. The annual award recognizes a person with a disability who has helped the independent-living movement and served as a role model for others with disabilities who want to live independently. Barricella had polio as a child.
Quote: "There's just so much to do to get people to be aware of how people with disabilities are left out. ... I can get on any bus now, and I couldn't ride a bus until I was in my 40s. That was important. Now it's accessible playgrounds and shelters -- just so that we have accessible places."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Phone scam from Jamaica reported in Allegheny County
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Developer pursues application for Strip District apartments
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Fire forces North Side residents from apartments
- Bacteria found in bread factory not a health hazard, company says
- U.S. proposes tougher rules for moving crude oil, ethanol by rail
- Drive-thru window sees major change at Monroeville fast-food restaurant
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers